Creative Industries: Television and Film HNC
Campus Milton Road Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
Do you have the creative potential to write, direct and produce for television and film? Both the television and film industries are undergoing fast and dramatic changes, not only in the technology of production and distribution but also in content creation and the very form of the medium itself. On the HNC Creative Industries: Television and Film course at Milton Road Campus, you will receive extensive and comprehensive instruction across the creative, technical and production aspects of the TV and film industries, gaining a solid grounding in the basic principles that will enable you to decide on a choice of career and to steer your way through this complex, demanding and constantly evolving discipline.
On the HNC there is no expectation of prior experience with production equipment: we will start you from the very basics.
We provide instruction in the technical skills of camera and sound acquisition, lighting, editing, colour correction, motion graphics and audio post-production. You will learn to write and direct in a variety of genres and styles, both factual and non-factual. You will acquire skills of criticism and research that will give you a solid grounding for progression onto a university honours degree and employment. In addition, you will produce a range of short programmes that will give you a practical understanding of television and film production and enable you to compile an impressive show-reel, one that will aid you in achieving your first steps into this exciting industry.
What you will learn
- Directing Factual & Non-Factual
- Writing Factual & Non-Factual
- Sound Recording
- Editing (Adobe Premiere & FCPX)
- Compositing & Motion Graphics (Adobe After Effects & Adobe Photoshop)
- Audio Post-Production (Adobe Audition)
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed through practical and written assignments
- You will complete project work and associated production documentation
Number of days per week
- 3 or 4 days per week
- Two Highers or three units at Higher Level from digital media-related subjects
- Communication and Numeracy at SCQF Level 5
- If you have relevant work and life experience, we also welcome you to apply and attend an interview
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Creative Industries: Television and Film HND – Edinburgh College Milton Road Campus year 2
- Camera Department
- Sound Department
- Lighting Department
- Post-Production Department
Discover the Creative Industries Faculty
Our Creative Industries faculty offers a variety of courses which help prepare students to stand out from the crowd in their chosen field, be it art and design, broadcast media and photography, music and sound production, performing arts or computing.
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Milton Road Campus||Full time||29/08/22||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.