Cyber Security HNC
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This Cyber Security course will teach you essential knowledge in cybersecurity and securing technology infrastructure against cybercrime. During this course, you will learn fundamental skills that underpin the technology we use today, such as computer programs, websites, computer networks and databases. Edinburgh College has strong industry connections with Edinburgh-based digital companies. These companies can provide expert advice, guidance and placement opportunities.
This course will teach you advanced learning on how to secure computer systems through forensic analysis to find traces of attacks or infrastructure vulnerabilities that could be exploited. You will explore common ways in which attackers perform hacks through a variety of real case studies and hands-on workshops in Edinburgh College's state-of-the-art computer labs. This course will give you the skills and entry requirements needed to progress into year 1 or 2 of university level of study or into employment in the cybersecurity sector.
This course is highly regarded and recognised in the industry and sought after by employers.
The course curriculum is aligned to a variety of industry-recognised vendor qualifications and can help you gain the knowledge to prepare to sit those certifications. Such as CISCO Cyber Essentials; CompTIA Security+, CCNA Security
What you will learn
- Computer Networking Concepts
- Setting up, Maintaining and Securing Computer Networks
- Basic Computer Programming
- Digital Forensics,
- Ethical Hacking
- Data Security
- Computer operating systems
- Penetration Testing
How the course is assessed
- The course is mainly assessed by means of your practical skills
- There will be some end-of-unit tests
- There will be a final graded exam for year 1
Number of days per week
- Approximately 16 -18 hours per week, we try to timetable these into as few days as possible for example 3 days
- This is a very demanding course and there is a proportion of self-study required
- It is recommended that you can commit at least 4.5 days per week to studying for this course and assignments and projects will be set for you to complete in your own time
- For school leavers: Three Highers, including a B Pass in Mathematics, Computing or Science and two other C Passes.
- For college students: A SCQF Level 6 Computing qualification in Cyber or Networking.
For everyone else: All enquiries are welcome regardless of qualifications. Edinburgh College computing staff can assess where you can start or progress in your computing career and find the right course for you.
If you have not studied a CISCO networking course before then it is recommended that you join NPA Cyber Security and Networking Essentials class first to gain the underpinning knowledge and skills.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You will be asked to take part in a Skills and Experience screening exercise online.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 6.0 and Ideally no component below 5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- HND year 2 Cyber security at Edinburgh college
- BEng Cyber Security year 2 at Edinburgh College or Napier University
- Other universities and courses in year 1 or 2
- Entry-level jobs or Apprenticeships in Cyber Security
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.