Dance Artists HND
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 8
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
Dance Artists HND is a creative and technically challenging 2-year course designed to make you industry-ready as you progress towards a career in the dance sector. Push your artistic potential as you engage in professional training from experienced dance staff at Performing Arts Studio Scotland (PASS).
This course will develop your skills in several dance techniques as well as teach you commercial dance styles, choreography, teaching skills and contextual subjects, there is also an opportunity to work on a project in collaboration with HN1 actors.
Performing Arts Studio Scotland (PASS) has a range of exceptional professional facilities including the Pass studio theatre as well as dance, acting and aerial studios.
This course has a primary focus on teaching and creating dance projects and you will complete a practical work placement which will take place in year 2 of the course. This will be made available through PASS industry connections. Immerse yourself in the art of dance as you gain essential experience in professional environments and make crucial connections with industry professionals. You will work with a variety of client groups of varying ages and abilities to create workshops, events and projects with essential and practical experience. The course will ensure your progression into the professional industry or further study such as our in-house degree program.
Please see below for audition information.
What you will learn
- Practical Performance Opportunities
- Dance Technique: Ballet, Jazz, Contemporary
- Graded Unit
- Performance and Production
- Theoretical Knowledge
- Body Conditioning
- Professional Guest Workshops
- You will have an opportunity in year 2 to work in a sector of the professional industry and gain key experience in a job role of your choice.
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed through practical performance, workshops, blogs/vlogs, online portfolios, academic assignments and creative outcomes
Number of days per week
- 4 to 5 days but you will be expected to work out with College class hours
- Please note during show rehearsals for show work you will be expected to attend full-time if needed
- Two Highers
- NC at SCQF Level 6 or equivalent
- Based on a practical audition, we look for potential, commitment, energy and focus
- Must be physically and academically able to take part fully in all practical and theoretical classes
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
Please read the following carefully and supply the evidence asked for consideration for our HND program
We would like to invite you to apply for our HND program by doing the following:
Stage 1: Complete the online application form including the following
- Answer the following questions in your personal statement section of your application form, Why do you want to study at PASS on this course? What previous experience do you have that will support your application? What choreographers inspire you creatively? Please list and state why they inspire you. This should be no longer than 500 words in total.
- Fully complete the application providing all relevant information including previous qualifications
- Create and film a 1-minute solo on a theme of your choice, this should showcase who you are creatively and give an indication of your skillset.
- Information on how to set up a private YouTube channel can be found here: https://youtu.be/HjB404GUreg (Make sure all videos are unlisted if using Youtube for evidence)
Send your solos to Dance@edinburghcollege.ac.uk as soon as possible and prior where possible to your audition date
Stage 2: Practical Dance Audition (Invitation Only)
Online Submission during our summer break (1st - 21st July)
You will be sent a series of combinations and exercises to learn and perform, these should be filmed and sent to the email above by the date stated.
Once you have supplied all evidence your application will be considered
Final face to Face Audition is on Wednesday 17th of August
All auditions will begin at 9.30 am prompt.
All applications will be reviewed monthly prior to each audition date, we would recommend you try and complete stage 1 as soon as possible to secure a practical audition.
If you have any questions please contact us at email@example.com
Remember we are looking for potential, not perfection so please do your best.
Progression and Articulation Routes
- BA (Hons) Dance ad Drama Degree accredited by Kingston University
- 1 Year top up at Dance College, London
- 1 year BA (Hons) Professional and commercial dance top at Bolton University
- 1 year BA (Hons) Dance Performance Addict Dance Academy
- Dance artist
- Arts administrator
- Community artist
- Dance development officer
Discover the Creative Industries Faculty
Our Creative Industries faculty offers a variety of courses which help prepare students to stand out from the crowd in their chosen field, be it art and design, broadcast media and photography, music and sound production, performing arts or computing.
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Full time||29/08/22||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.