Data Science and Data Security (funded course)
Campus OL - Open Learning/Cross Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 5
Study mode Open learning
Duration 14 weeks
Course enquiry form
This course is delivered through open learning. The course has an 16-week structure and is guided by lecturer support.
This course is free to study if you have been resident in the UK for 3 consecutive years, as it is fully funded by The Data-Driven Innovation (DDI) Skills Gateway. A project which forms part of the Edinburgh and South East City Deal.
Data science and Cyber secuirty are two of the fastest-growing employability skills today, as we generate more and more data a skilled workforce is required. Due to a lack of skilled workers in this area, the DDI fund has been established to allow as many people as possible from all skill backgrounds and fields of employment and study to be able to add this qualification to their CV, for free.
We have teamed this course with data secuirty, the cornerstone of most Cyber secuirty. Not only is it vital that busness can capitalise on the uptapped revenu from thier data, but they also need people who are versed in how to keep data safe from hackers, and monitor it's ethical uses.
If you are currently employed, or an employer who would lke to upskill your team in data secuirty and the value which can be driven from your company data, then this is a great oportunity for them to upskill for free, from anywhere, in thier own time.
You will need a laptop or a computer, and an internet connection to complete this course, there are asignement submissions to complete in order to gain the SQA accredited Certificate.
If requested we can authorise hours of CPD.
What you will learn
- Data Science, tools and techniques, how to derrive value and insights from data
- Ethics and responisibilities of using data
- Data secuirty best practices
How the course is assessed
- Short asignments
- Practical tasks, - Data Science tasks and projects
- A multiple choice question set ( this will be timed and needs to be undertaken on a specific date but in your own time, approxiately 1 hour)
Number of days per week
- We estimate this will need approximately 4 to 6 hours per week of your time
- You need to be able to unsertake distance learning, reading materials and follwing guidance to produce projects on your own.
- Some proficiency with using a computer, for example for office based use, using programs like MS Word , Excel at a basic level.
- The course will be delivered through our Moodle.
- As a guide, those with National 5 equivalent qualifcations are eligable for this course, but the course is aimed at adults.
Please complete the personal staement outlining your reasons for undertaking the course and your current or previous employment and or experience with digital tools and software.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- Multiple choice test approximately 1 hour
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- NPA Data sciecne with Python and R.
- Python for Data Science
- PDA Data science level 7
- A full time course such as NPA Software and Web or NPA Cyber Secuirty Netowrking and Forensics
- All our progression routes lead to Degrees with Npaier University, in Cyber, Data Science, Software or Web Development
- This is an excellent course for upskilling at work, or adding highly desirable skills to your CV
|OL - Open Learning/Cross Campus
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.