Data Science with Python and R (NPA Level 6) (DDI Funded)
OL - Open Learning/Cross Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Open learning
Duration 19 - 20 weeks
Start date Multiple available
Choose your study options
Course enquiry form
This course is delivered open learning. The course has an 18-week structure and is guided with lecturer support via online video lessons.
This course is free to study if you are resident in Scotland, as it is fully funded by The Data-Driven Innovation (DDI) Skills Gateway. A project which forms part of the Edinburgh and South East City Deal.
Data science is one of the fastest-growing employability skills today, as we generate more and more data a skilled workforce is required. Due to a lack of skilled workers in this area, the DDI fund has been established to allow as many people as possible from all skill backgrounds and fields of employment and study to be able to add this qualification to their CV, for free.
If you have some computing or data science knowledge already or have completed the Level 5 course this is the perfect next step.
Data science is a multidisciplinary subject that combines, computer science, statistics and business knowledge - data science allows the generation of insights from data. This course in data science will cover each of the three key areas of the subject - domain knowledge, statistics and computer programming.
What you will learn
Data Science is a multidisciplinary subject that combines, computer science, statistics and business knowledge. It allows the generation of insights from data.
This course will cover:
- Data Management: Sorting and Analysing Data
- Data in our Society: Elements of Data Security and How to Protect Your Own Data and Data Belonging to Other People
- The Potential of Data Usage and Ethical Implications
- An Introduction to Python Programming
How the course is assessed
- Practical activities are uploaded for marking
- Multiple-choice tests
Number of days per week
- Applicants need to have qualifications that equate to Scottish National Higher or above and be comfortable using a computer for working with the basics of spreadsheets, word documents, and databases like Microsoft Access.
- Applicants don't need to have done any programming before but a small amount of knowledge is advantageous, in something like HTML.
- The purpose of the course is to be accessible to a broad community of people no matter what your qualifications or work/life experience, so if in doubt please apply as we have courses at all levels from beginner to advanced.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
Progression is based on an individual basis. We can advise on a progression route based on your goals.
Commonly if you have no other qualifications then following this course we would advise you to study one of the following:
- Oracle Databases (Open Learning)
- ECDL Extra or Advanced (Open Learning)
- CSICO Networking Essentials (Online Learning evening course)
Or enter full-time education and study:
- NPA software Development and Web/Digital Design
- NPA Cyber Security and Networking
- For those starting their career, this is a gateway qualification to study at a higher level at college.
- For those with previous work experience, this qualification provides a great addition to your CV.
- Data science jobs can include data analyst, systems analyst, data scientist, software engineer.
- Data science is highly utilised in medicine, marketing, science, finance, business, retail, agriculture and technology.
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Open learning||02/09/21||19 Weeks|
|OL - Open Learning/Cross Campus||Open learning||24/01/22||20 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.