Day Release SVQ Professional Cookery (Patisserie and Confectionary) (SCQF 7)
Milton Road Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Study mode Part time
Duration 40 weeks
Choose your study options
Course enquiry form
This is a part-time course over two academic years. Each year you will study 6 units. The course is designed to further develop the skills you may have gained in the workplace or if you have previously gained pastry qualifications at least NC level. The course is aimed at candidates who are already working in a professional kitchen. You may also have some relevant experience in the industry and perhaps want a formal qualification.
You will gain skills in complex chocolate, marzipan and sugar work. You will create menus and original recipes for our training restaurants in the evening. You will also learn to supervise the entire dessert and sweet service in a live restaurant. Other units include preparing, cooking and finishing complex bread and dough products, preparing, cooking and finishing complex cakes, sponges, biscuits and scones prepare, cooking and finishing complex pastry products. The units studied can be tailored to suit individual requirements.
This course will give you the hands-on skillset you need to succeed in further pastry and confectionery training at the next level of your development.
What you will learn
- You will gain skills in complex chocolate, marzipan and sugar work.
- You will create menus and original recipes for our training restaurant.
- You will also learn to supervise the entire dessert and sweet service in a live restaurant.
Other units include
- preparing, cook and finishing complex bread and dough products
- prepare, cooking and finishing complex pastry products
- preparing and cooking hot and cold desserts
We can also tailor units to suit individual employer needs
- A work placement or industry-based job is mandatory for this course
How the course is assessed
- Open book
- Closed book
- Practical observations
Number of days per week
- 1 day per week for 2 years
- NC bakery
- City and Guilds Level 2 Professional Cookery or Culinary Skills
- Industry knowledge and experience will be considered without formal qualifications
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- Applicants will be invited into college for an information session and a skills test
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Available HNC/D courses
- Gain employment as a pastry chef at a senior commis or junior chef de partie after completing this qualification. (This would vary based on the individual establishment)
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Part time||28/08/23||40 Weeks|
|Milton Road Campus||Part time||28/08/23||40 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.