Dental and Oral Healthcare Preparing for Practice SCQF level 6
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Full time
Duration 20 weeks
Start date Multiple available
Choose your study options
Course enquiry form
This course is your next step towards a rewarding career as a dental care professional. In order to become a dental nurse, you must meet the professional standards governed by the General Dental Council (GDC) which set out the code of conduct, performance and ethics that govern you as a worker in the sector. To become registered you will have to achieve two qualifications, the SVQ in Dental Nursing and the PDA in Dental Nursing at SCQF Level 7. This course is a natural progression route towards these courses.
This course has been designed to build on the previous NPA at SCQF Level 5 and takes you to the next level of knowledge and skills specific to oral health care. You will learn the legislation, standards and ethics required for a career in the dental profession as well as the practical skills necessary to effectively and safely care for dental patients. This course is now an Edinburgh College mandatory requirement for progression to SVQ Dental Nursing enabling you to either seek further training and a career in dental nursing or alternatively training and/or employment in related fields. The National Certificate (NC) in Oral Health Care: Preparing for Practice will be awarded on successful completion of both NPA group awards.
What you will learn
- Safe Working Practices in an Oral Health Care Environment
- Dental Procedures: Instruments, Materials and Equipment
- Dental Care Professionals: Fitness to Practice
- Dental Care Professionals: Reflective Practice
- Oral Health Assessment: an Introduction
- Dental Patient Care: an Introduction
How the course is assessed
- You will be continually assessed through integrated assessments, projects and group tasks.
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week
Applicants would benefit from having attained the knowledge, skills, experience or qualifications required by one or more of the following qualifications and/or experience
- The units from the NPA in Oral Health Care: an Introduction at SCQF Level 5 (or equivalent qualifications)
- Core Skills (Communication, Numeracy, Problem Solving, Information and Communication Technology and Working with Others) at SCQF Level 5 or above
- SQA units in a Science, Maths or English based subject at SCQF Level 5 or above
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- All external applicants are invited in for an informal discussion and will have to complete a written exercise
- Students progressing internally from Edinburgh College will have a one to one discussion with the team
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
On successful completion of this course, i.e. pass all units, have excellent attendance and meet our fitness to practice guidelines you may be able to progress to SVQ Dental Nursing SCQF Level 7.
- Dental or medical reception
- Local decontamination units
- Health and social care
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Full time||30/08/21||20 Weeks|
|Granton Campus||Full time||24/01/22||20 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.