Dental and Oral Healthcare SCQF level 5
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 5
Study mode Full time
Duration 20 - 21 weeks
Start date Multiple available
Choose your study options
Course enquiry form
If you want to work as a dental nurse you will have to be registered with the General Dental Council (GDC) as this is the law. To become registered you would have to achieve two qualifications, the SVQ in Dental Nursing and the PDA in Dental Nursing at SCQF level 7.
Before entering training for these qualifications, the GDC require all learners to be at a level called ‘safe beginner’. This means you need to have “training regarding patient safety and confidentiality; infection control; the protection of vulnerable children and adults; and how to deal with medical emergencies”
This qualification has been designed to provide a pathway from entry-level to safe beginner, enabling you to either seek further training and a career in dental nursing or alternatively training and/or employment in related fields, e.g. a local decontamination unit or in health and social care.
On completion of this course candidates will be awarded the NPA in Oral Health Care: an Introduction at SCQF level 5.
What you will learn
You will study a range of units including:
- Working with Others
- Make Sure your Own Actions Reduce Risks to Health and Safety
- Introduction to First Aid
- Oral Health Improvement: an Introduction
- Infection Prevention & Decontamination in an Oral Health Care Environment
- Dental Anatomy: an Introduction
How the course is assessed
The course is assessed through integrated assessments, projects and group tasks
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week
- This course is suitable for school leavers and young people who have achieved core skills, experience or qualifications at SCQF Level 4, or for adults and mature applicants that can demonstrate a keen interest in the health care professions.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- All applicants are invited in for an information session and one to one discussion before being offered a place
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- On successful completion of this course, i.e. pass all units, have excellent attendance and meet our fitness to practice guidelines you may be able to progress to NPA Oral Health SCQF level 6, other health related level 6 courses.
- The National Certificate in Oral Health Care: Preparing for Practice will be awarded on successful completion of both NPA group awards
- Successful candidates who do not want to progress to NPA Oral Health SCQF level 6 can seek employment in a related sector, dental or medical reception; local decontamination units; or health and social care.
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Full time||30/08/21||20 Weeks|
|Granton Campus||Full time||24/01/22||21 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.