Dental Nursing SVQ Level 3
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Study mode Part time
Duration 50 weeks
Course enquiry form
This course is for applicants wishing to train as a Dental Care Professional (DCP). Dental Nursing SVQ Level 3 is designed to prepare you for a rewarding career as a dental nurse. During this course, you will learn the essential employability skill of chair-side support to team members during treatment sessions in dental surgery.
All full-time applicants should have preferably achieved the Dental Nursing Preparing for Practice course which is now the Edinburgh College approved progression route onto the SVQ 3 level of study, however, direct applicants with suitable experience will be considered.
Part-time applicants must be employed as a trainee dental nurse and will be required to complete an induction unit prior to commencing SVQ. For part-time application information please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0131 297 8600
Once you have successfully completed this qualification you are required to undertake further study with the PDA (Professional Development Award) in Dental Nursing. To undertake this PDA you are required to be in employment as a trainee Dental Nurse and complete your studies whilst working.
To register and work as a Dental Nurse you are required to hold both qualifications and meet the GDC standards of Conduct. Read more about the GDC.
For further information please contact Audrey Stewart, you can contact Audrey at Audrey.Stewart@edinburghcollege.ac.uk
What you will learn
- Chair-Side Support
- The Preparation of Instruments
- Mixing of Dental Materials
- Patient Comfort
- Preparation and Maintenance of the Clinical Environment
- Infection Control Guidelines
- Recording of Clinical Charting
- Maintaining Patient’s Records
- Dental Radiographs
For full-time applicants - Placement on this level of course is mandatory. We plan a balanced delivery between work placement and College.
- For the first 8 weeks of the course, there will be no placement requirement
- From week 9 you will be in placement for 2 full days per week
- For the remaining 21 weeks of your course, you will be in placement for 3 days
- This delivery strategy is subject to change to meet operational requirements
How the course is assessed
- Continual assessment with a portfolio of clinical experience
- E-Assessment using industry recognised assessment programmes
- A minimum of two mandatory workplace observations by SVQ assessors
Number of days per week
For full-time applicants:
- 3 full days for the first 8 weeks
- 2 full days from week 9
- You are also allocated 3 hours per week for the full 36 weeks for self-directed study activities
Progression and Articulation Routes
Once you have successfully completed this SVQ 3 Dental Nursing qualification you are required to undertake further study on to the PDA in Dental Nursing. To undertake this PDA you are required to be in employment as a trainee Dental Nurse (in a Dental Care setting) and complete your studies whilst working.
To register and work as a Dental Nurse you are required to hold both qualifications and meet the GDC standards of Conduct.
- Dental practices
- Dental hospitals
- Opportunities to undertake post registration qualifications leading to specialist clinical roles
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Part time||27/01/21||50 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.