Choose your study options
Course enquiry form
This course is for applicants wishing to train as a Dental Care Professional (DCP). Dental Nursing SVQ Level 3 is designed to prepare you for a rewarding career as a dental nurse. During this course, you will learn the essential employability skill of chair-side support to team members during treatment sessions in dental surgery.
Part-time applicants must be employed as trainee dental nurses and will be required to complete an induction unit prior to commencing SVQ. For part-time application information please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0131 297 8600
Once you have successfully completed this qualification you are required to undertake further study with the PDA (Professional Development Award) in Dental Nursing. To undertake this PDA you are required to be in employment as a trainee Dental Nurse and complete your studies whilst working.
To register and work as a Dental Nurse you are required to hold both qualifications and meet the GDC standards of Conduct. Read more about the GDC.
What you will learn
- Chair-Side Support
- The Preparation of Instruments
- Mixing of Dental Materials
- Patient Comfort
- Preparation and Maintenance of the Clinical Environment
- Infection Control Guidelines
- Recording of Clinical Charting
- Maintaining Patient Records
- Dental Radiographs
For full-time applicants - Placement on this level, of course, is mandatory. We plan a balanced delivery between work placement and College.
- For the first 8 weeks of the course, there will be no placement requirement
- From week 9 you will be in placement for 2 full days per week
- This delivery strategy is subject to change to meet operational requirements
How the course is assessed
- Continual assessment with a portfolio of clinical experience
- E-Assessment using industry-recognised assessment programmes
- A minimum of two mandatory workplace observations by SVQ assessors
Number of days per week
For full-time applicants:
- 3 full days for the first 8 weeks
- 2 full days from week 9
- You are also allocated 3 hours per week for the full 36 weeks for self-directed study activities
Progression and Articulation Routes
Once you have successfully completed this SVQ 3 Dental Nursing qualification you are required to undertake further study on to the PDA in Dental Nursing. To undertake this PDA you are required to be in employment as a trainee Dental Nurse (in a Dental Care setting) and complete your studies whilst working.
To register and work as a Dental Nurse you are required to hold both qualifications and meet the GDC standards of Conduct.
- Dental practices
- Dental hospitals
- Opportunities to undertake post registration qualifications leading to specialist clinical roles
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration||Cost|
|Sighthill Campus||Full time||29/08/22||41 Weeks||
|Sighthill Campus||Part time||29/08/22||41 Weeks||
Come along to one of our Open Days this February to find out all you need to know about studying at Edinburgh College and the courses available to you.
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.