Electrical Engineering (full time) HNC
Campus Midlothian Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
Electrical Engineering HNC is a full-time course taught at Edinburgh College’s Midlothian campus. The course is designed for those interested in pursuing a career in the electrical engineering industry. You will learn many valuable skills needed to work in the electrical engineering field including knowledge of Electrical Theory and Three-Phase Systems.
You will be taught by staff with extensive experience in the electrical engineering industry. You will also have access to Edinburgh College workshops where you will use up-to-date technology and equipment. The course is based in both the workshop and classroom ensuring that you get a combination of practical and technical skills.
Edinburgh College works closely with many businesses and these connections can help you find part-time work to develop your practical and employability skills. The College will actively encourage and support you to seek relevant work experience.
This course will provide you with a solid foundation of knowledge and skills to progress onto HND Electrical Engineering or onto further study at university level.
What you will learn
- Electricity Power Systems
- Electrical Safety
- Electrical Machine Principles
- DC and AC Principles
- Three-Phase Systems
- Electrical Networks and Resonance
- Application of Electrical and Electronic Devices
- Electrical Engineering: Graded Unit 1
- Communication: Practical Skills
- Information Technology: Applications Software 1
- Engineering Mathematics 1
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed throughout each unit
- There is a Graded Unit examination at the end of year one covering topics studied throughout the year where you are awarded either an A, B or C grade. - (NB: Universities look for a B grade or higher.)
- All units within the course must be achieved in order to gain the award
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week
- Two Highers at Grade C or above in Mathematics and Physics or another science based subject.
- A relevant NC at Level 6 accompanied with a good academic reference recommending articulation to a higher level
- Industrial experience and/or other qualifications will also be considered
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- HND Electrical Engineering
- Progression into year two of study at Edinburgh Napier University or year one at Heriot-Watt University
Employment as an engineer in the electrical engineering field such as:
- Renewable energy and other emerging technologies
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Midlothian Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.