Engineering Systems - Engineering Academy
Campus Midlothian Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Study mode Part time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
S5 & S6 PUPILS WHO ARE STILL AT SCHOOL
This course allows you to start your engineering degree whilst you are still at school.
The Academy is a joint project with Edinburgh College and Edinburgh Napier University and provides an opportunity to build knowledge and practical skills alongside academic study. There are multiple exit points from this course for young people who are interested in a career in Engineering.
You will attend college for three afternoons per week in 2 x 13-week blocks over a 2 year period.
On successful completion of all 12 subjects, you will gain an HNC in Engineering Systems (SCQF level 7)
You can choose from a range of pathways depending on your individual circumstances:
- Study towards HNC Engineering Systems S5 & S6
- Progress to College to complete HNC and HND Engineering Systems
- Apply to year 2 of BEng Energy and Environmental Engineering degree course at Edinburgh Napier University on successful completion of HNC at school or College
- Gain direct access to year 3 of BEng Energy and Environmental Engineering degree course at Edinburgh Napier University on successful completion of HND at college
- Progress to employment or further study
To discuss your options please e-mail Sharon.Pearson@edinburghcollege.ac.uk
What you will learn
- Computer-Aided Draughting for Engineers
- Pneumatics and hydraulics
- Engineering Mathematics 1
- Engineering Communications
- Communication: Practical Skills
- Renewable Energy Systems: Microgeneration Systems
- Engineering Principles
- Principles of Engineering Systems
- Engineering Measurement and System Monitoring
- Materials Selection
- Engineering Systems: Graded Unit 1
- Placements are not applicable.
How the course is assessed
- Ongoing subject assessments throughout the course on an outcome by outcome basis
- You will sit a 3 hour written Graded Unit 1 examination at the end of year 2test the knowledge you have learnt over the last two years and will gain either an A, B or C grade.
Number of days per week
- 9 hours per week: Tuesday; Thursday & Friday afternoons from 13.30 - 16.30 pm
- Applicants should be working towards a minimum of 2 Highers - Maths and a science-based subject.
- Highers must be achieved by the end of S6.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- HND in Engineering Systems including Renewable Energy at Edinburgh College.
- BEng Energy and Environmental Engineering at Edinburgh Napier University.
- Further studies at other Universities.
- Progression to MEng
- Energy generation systems
- Renewable energy systems and related fields of employment
- A choice of either Mechanical, Electrical or Systems Engineering pathways.
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Midlothian Campus||Part time||22/08/22||41 Weeks|
Come along to one of our Open Days this February to find out all you need to know about studying at Edinburgh College and the courses available to you.
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.