Course enquiry form
Engineering Systems HNC is a stepping stone towards furthering your career in the engineering systems industry or onto further study at an HND level.
This is a two-year day-release programme (a system of allowing employees days off work to go on educational courses) taught at Edinburgh College’s Midlothian campus. This HNC will give you essential employability and analysis skills needed to work in a wide range of engineering, industrial, public and renewable energy sectors. You will learn to break down engineering systems into component areas to fully examine how they function and contribute to the full system.
The course is taught by staff with industry experience using the latest industry technologies and will give you an insight into the working environment of an electrical engineer. You will be taught between classrooms and workshops where you will gain essential hands-on experience in the engineering sector. This course is intended to meet the needs of employers and further education.
What you will learn
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed throughout each unit.
- At the end of the second year, you will sit a Graded Unit 1 examination that tests the knowledge you have learnt over the previous two years and you will be awarded either an A, B or C grade.
- All units within the course must be achieved in order to gain the full award.
Number of days per week
- 1 day per week for 2 years
- 2 Highers (C or above) in Maths and Physics or another science-based subject.
- Criteria for existing Edinburgh College students or students from other colleges:
- Successful completion of an NC in Engineering or an equivalent subject at the same level.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- HND Engineering Systems over a further two year period; one day a week.
- Entry to the second year of the HND in Engineering Systems full-time course.
- Year 2 BEng Mechanical Engineering at University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI)
- Engineering technician
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration||Cost|
|Midlothian Campus||Part time||31/08/22||41 Weeks||
Come along to one of our Open Days this February to find out all you need to know about studying at Edinburgh College and the courses available to you.
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.