English for Work and Training National 2
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 2
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
Edinburgh College is one of the largest year-round providers of English Language courses in Scotland. All College Based ESOL classes are accredited by the British Council for the teaching of English in the UK.
The English for Work and Training (National 2) course is for people who speak English as a second language and are living in the UK on a permanent or long-term basis. This course is designed to help you improve your English and confidence in order to go on to further training or enter employment. You will develop your study skills as well as work in pairs or in groups in the class. You will attend Edinburgh College for 16 hours a week for 36 weeks. You will work towards achieving the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) ESOL for everyday life and ESOL in Context units Level 2 and Core Skills and Edinburgh College (EC) units.
English for Work and Training National 2 course information
This course is bursary funded so you will not have to pay course fees and may be eligible for other bursary funding. You will be expected to buy the course materials as specified by your tutor (approximately £45).
The average class size is 18 – 20 with a maximum of 23. You must be aged 16 or older to study ESOL courses in college.
Support for students aged 16 and 17
All 16 and 17-year-olds are given a 24-hour emergency number.
Information on ‘Keeping yourself safe in Edinburgh’ is provided at induction. A tutorial system is in place for students to discuss progress or any problems with their teacher.
Students are supervised in class, on class trips/activities, and during work placements.
Parental consent is required for class trips and work placements. Outside these hours there is no supervision of 16 and 17-year-olds.What you will learn
- English Language: These lessons are designed to give you practice in the skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing in a communicative context. You will focus on grammar rules and structures and being able to use these appropriately. You will buy a coursebook and a workbook. There will also be materials available for you to use on Moodle, the College Virtual Learning Environment.
- Work-Related Skills: Here you will focus on developing your English to prepare you for future work and study in the UK. This will include writing a CV and developing your presentation skills and interview skills. ICT skills will also be covered here.
- Life in the UK: Here you will share and develop your knowledge of life in the UK. If you plan to apply for British Citizenship this can help to prepare you for the test.
How the course is assessed
- This is a bursary course, and you are expected to attend 100% of the course
- You will work towards the SQA ESOL National 2 units
- You will be given language tests regularly to check and record your progress
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week from 9 am - 4.30 pm
- Language level at ESOL level 2
International students (students from outside the UK without Settled or pre-settled status excluding asylum seekers, refugees and Humanitarian Protection Status) will need to check visa requirements. Please go to the International section of the website.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You will be invited for a test and interview where your language level and suitability for the course will be checked.
English Proficiency RequirementsAssessment of language level at ESOL level 2
Progression and Articulation Routes
- English for Work and Training Level 3
- National 3 ESOL units
- Pre-Intermediate 1 ESOL
ESOL Course Fee Information
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.