English for Work & Training National 3
Milton Road Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 3
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Choose your study options
Course enquiry form
Access to English for Work and Training course is for people who speak English as a second language and are living in the UK on a permanent or long-term basis. This course is designed to help you improve your English and confidence in order to go on to further training or enter employment. You will develop your study skills as well as work in pairs or in groups in the class. You will attend Edinburgh College for 17 hours a week for 36-weeks. You will work towards achieving the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) national certificates at Level 3 in ESOL and Core Skills and Edinburgh College (EC) units.
What you will learn
- English Language: These lessons are designed to give you practice in the skills in listening, speaking, reading and writing in a communicative context. You will focus on grammar rules and structures and being able to use these appropriately. You will buy a coursebook and workbook. There will also be materials available for you to use on Moodle, the College Virtual Learning Environment.
- Work-Related Skills: Here you will focus on developing your English to prepare you for future work and study in the UK. This will include writing a CV and developing your presentation skills and interview skills. ICT and numeracy skills will also be covered here.
- Life in the UK: Here you will share and develop your knowledge of life in the UK. If you plan to apply for British Citizenship this can help to prepare you for the test.
How the course is assessed
- This is a bursary course, and you are expected to attend 100% of the course
- You will work towards the qualifications listed in the box above
- In addition, you will be given tests regularly to check and record your progress
Number of days per week
- 3 day per week (17 hours)
- Language level at ESOL level 2/3
- No formal qualifications required: assessment of language level, attitude, attendance and progress considered
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You will be invited for a test and interview where your language level and suitability for the course will be checked
English Proficiency RequirementsAssessment of language level at ESOL level 2/3
Progression and Articulation Routes
- SQA National 4 ESOL courses
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Milton Road Campus||Full time||29/08/22||41 Weeks|
|Sighthill Campus||Full time||29/08/22||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.