ESOL for Access to Care and Health Professions
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 5
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This course will teach the language skills needed for moving into further study in the area of care or health. You will complete the SQA National 5 ESOL syllabus and develop general language skills in reading, listening, speaking, writing and work on your grammar, pronunciation and vocabulary. You will improve your ability to understand and produce spoken and written English in both every day and work contexts and will focus on the vocabulary required to talk about the human body. You will be introduced to the specialisms and professional values and principles when working in the care sector. You will develop workplace language and employability skills during a 2-week placement.
This course is bursary funded so you will not have to pay course fees and may be eligible for other bursary funding. You will be expected to buy the course materials as specified by your tutor (approximately £45). Please note these courses are for applicants whose first language is not English.
- You will do a six-day work placement in the care sector in order to gain essential and hands-on experience in this workplace
How the course is assessed
- This is a bursary course, and you are expected to attend 100% of the course
- There will be regular assessment tasks throughout the course to monitor your progress in the areas of ESOL
- The Prelim exam in February will prepare you for the final ESOL National 5 exam in May
- There will be a closed book assessment on the Human body
- You will also complete evidence in portfolio or presentation form for the Work Placement unit and values and principles of care
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week
- You should have a clear idea of your future study or work plans
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You will be invited to attend a test and interview where your language level and suitability for the course will be checked
English Proficiency RequirementsESOL Intermediate 1/National 4 SQA or above or equivalent
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Progress to mainstream college courses at NC or HNC
- NQ English Plus Higher
- Further training or work in the care sector
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Full time||30/08/21||41 Weeks|
College Open Days 2022
If you are considering applying for a full-time course please join us for one of our open events.
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.