Exercise and Fitness Instructor Course
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This course is designed to prepare you for employment in the exercise and fitness industry. You'll gain nationally recognised CIMSPA endorsed qualification as a Gym Instructor. The course encourages you to develop the practical skills you need to become an instructor by delivering to your peer group and external participants in each discipline.
You`ll learn about anatomy, physiology, group exercise, core strength & posture, nutrition, circuit training, weight training and customer service to support these skills too. Towards the end of the course, there may also be the opportunity to gain additional qualifications to enhance your skillset even further. Lecturers will make you aware of these opportunities if they arise. You'll be well prepared for employment with the potential to progress onto the HNC/D in Fitness Health and Exercise.
What you will learn
- Practical skills and competencies in how to deliver a range of safe and effective exercise and physical activity sessions in the gym and fitness settings
- Broad understanding of muscles, bones and energy systems
- How the body responds to exercise, nutrition & healthy eating
- How to encourage good lifestyle management & health awareness
- How to provide a positive customer experience in the exercise and fitness environment
- Work experience placement is the responsibility of students, however, you will be supported by staff through our partnerships to help find appropriate placements.
How the course is assessed
- On an ongoing basis through e-assessment and a range of practical theoretical and project-based assessment methods.
Number of days per week
- 3 National 5s at `C` or above, preferably to include English and/or a science subject or perhaps a higher
- National 4 Biology would also be advantageous
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
At interview you will be expected to demonstrate your knowledge of and active participation in exercise and Fitness. The interview session will include practical elements based on current exercise themes, written work on your knowledge of exercise and fitness and a one to one discussion with a member of the sport and fitness team.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- HNC/D in Fitness Health and Exercise
- YMCA Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training
- Access to jobs in the leisure industry such as a gym or fitness instructor.
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Full time||30/08/21||41 Weeks|
College Open Days 2022
If you are considering applying for a full-time course please join us for one of our open events.
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.