Exercise and Fitness Instructor Course
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This course is designed to prepare you for employment in the Fitness Industry and is split into two halves. The first half includes the YMCA Level 2 Certificate in Gym Instructing - a nationally recognised CIMSPA endorsed qualification, whilst the second half is designed to prepare you to move up to HNC Fitness, Health and Exercise with the inclusion of further Instructor skills to enhance your skillset. You will develop the practical skills you need to become an instructor by delivering to your peer group in each discipline.
What you will learn
- Practical skills and competencies on how to deliver a range of safe and effective exercises
- A broad understanding of muscles, bones and energy systems
- How the body responds to exercise, nutrition & healthy eating
- How to encourage good lifestyle management & health awareness
- How to provide a positive customer experience in a fitness environment
- Work experience is the responsibility of students, however, you will be supported by staff through our partnerships should you wish to find appropriate placements.
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed on an ongoing basis through theory work, practical methods and e-assessment.
Number of days per week
- 1 Higher (or equivalent) in a relevant subject plus 3 National 5s at `C` or above, preferably to include English and/or a science subject
- National 4 Biology would also be advantageous
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
You must attend an information session which will take place in April or May, dates will be sent to you with your conditional offer. The session will include information on the course and a discussion on your suitability. Please prepare to discuss your career aspirations and fitness experience.
Being able to achieve a suitable level of clearance through the PVG scheme will be expected of all applicants.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- HNC/D in Fitness, Health and Exercise
- YMCA Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training
- Access to jobs in the leisure industry such as a gym or fitness instructor.
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.