Exercise and Fitness Instructor Course
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 5
Study mode Full time
Duration 20 weeks
Course enquiry form
The YMCA Level 2 Certificate in Gym Instructing is a nationally recognised CIMSPA endorsed qualification. This course will develop the practical skills you need to become an instructor through working with your peer group and on work placement. Delivered over 18 weeks, and focussed on preparing you for employment, this course provides options for further study in Fitness, Health, and Exercise, Personal training and Sports Therapy.
What you will learn
- Practical skills and competencies on how to deliver a range of safe and effective exercises.
- A broad understanding of muscles, bones, and energy systems.
- How the body responds to exercise, nutrition & healthy eating.
- How to encourage good lifestyle management & health awareness.
- How to provide a positive customer experience in a fitness environment.
Work experience is the responsibility of students; however, you will be supported by staff through our partnerships should you wish to find appropriate placements.
How the course is assessed
You will be assessed on an ongoing basis through theory work, practical methods, and e-assessment.
Number of days per week
- 1 Higher (or equivalent) in a relevant subject plus 3 National 5s at `C` or above, preferably to include English and/or a science subject.
- National 4 Biology would also be advantageous.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
You must attend an information session which will take place in April or May, dates will be sent to you with your conditional offer. The session will include information on the course and a discussion on your suitability. Please prepare to discuss your career aspirations and fitness experience.
Being able to achieve a suitable level of clearance through the PVG scheme will be expected of all applicants.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Access to HNC/D in Fitness, Health, and Exercise
- Access to HNC/D Sports Therapy
- YMCA Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training
Access to jobs in the leisure industry such as a gym or fitness instructor.
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Full time||28/08/23||20 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.