Exercise and Fitness Studies
Campus Milton Road Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 5
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
Exercise and Fitness Studies is designed to channel your ambition to work in the leisure industry and will allow you to take your first step towards a rewarding career as a fitness instructor. On completion, you will gain the formal qualification required for progression to the next level of study and will have the opportunity to discuss the most appropriate progression route for you. This is an intensive course where you will develop a broad range of knowledge and practical skills in exercise and fitness.
What you will learn
- Planning fitness for yourself and others using programming theory
- Basic Nutrition
- Anatomy and Exercise
- First Aid
- Practical skills in Resistance Training, instruction and circuits
- Communication, Numeracy and ICT skills
- Working with Others and problem-solving
- Although placement experience is not offered with this course, there will be an opportunity at the next level of study
How the course is assessed
- You will be continually assessed through a variety of methods including written assessments, logbooks, projects, assignments and practical tasks.
Number of days per week
- 3-4 days per week
- Three passes at National 4, English and/or a science subject are preferred
- Appropriate experience would be helpful either from placements undertaken at school or from other involvement in the industry
- If you do not have the formal requirements but you are a mature student or one who wishes to retrain, you are welcome to apply. In these or other cases we would consider work experience, life skills and potential ability.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
You must attend an information session which will take place in April or May, dates will be sent to you with your conditional offer. The session will include information on the course and a discussion on your suitability. Please prepare to discuss your career aspirations and fitness experience.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Exercise Instructor course
- It may be possible for you to gain direct entry to employment as a Leisure Attendant in a fitness facility.
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Milton Road Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.