Fitness Health and Exercise HND
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 8
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Choose your study options
Course enquiry form
This innovative course is a stepping stone towards a rewarding career in the sports and fitness industry. Edinburgh College has vital industry connections and there will be opportunities to gain valuable experience working with local partner groups across a range of businesses. Upon successful completion of the course, you will have the opportunity to gain entry to the Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA) as a gym instructor practitioner (Level 2) and potentially Personal Trainer (Level 3) offering direct employment opportunities.
This course is designed to develop your personal learning skills and ability to work independently. You will study topics such as exercise physiology and anatomy; plan, teach and evaluate gym and group exercise, nutrition and research skills.
The course will provide you with specialist links to National Occupational Standards (NOS) and related professional bodies. This course would suit school leavers or adults returning to education as well as those working in the leisure industry and looking to gain more formal qualifications or a career change.
What you will learn
- How to work with a range of groups in sport physical activity and health improvement settings
- How to develop your own practical skills and techniques in structured sessions
- How to plan, prepare and carry out fitness training programmes
- An understanding of sport and exercise nutrition
- Research and reporting skills
- Ability to incorporate a Level 2 Gym Practitioner; achieving this award will allow you to apply for CIMSPA Level 2 accreditation
- Awareness of the interdisciplinary nature of fitness and health
- Skills in exercise application and leadership; improving your understanding of the role and impact of fitness health and exercise for different population groups within contemporary society
- Recognition of the need to involve participants fully in their own personal fitness and health.
- Ability to incorporate a Level 3 Personal training Award; achieving this award will allow you to apply for CIMSPA Level 3 accreditation
- You will be expected to organise your own work placement with help and guidance from the lecturing staff.
How the course is assessed
You will be continually assessed in both practical and theoretical settings. This will include class-based assessments, practical observations, report writing, presentations and assignment tasks
Number of days per week
- 3-4 days per week
- Two Highers C or above (preferably English and one science)
- Core skills profile at SCQF Level 5 with communication or equivalent at SCQF Level 6
- Two A levels at grades A-D in relevant subjects
- A National Qualification at SCQF Level 6, S/NVQ level 3, or equivalent, in an appropriate subject area such as sports massage, exercise and fitness or sports development may be considered along with the appropriate core skills profile previously stated.
- If you don’t have the formal entry requirements but you are a mature returnee or one who wishes to change career or perhaps retrain following a career break to raise a family, you are welcome to apply
- In these or other cases we would consider work experience, life skills and potential ability
- You should currently be participating regularly in exercise and fitness activities
- You must be able to achieve a suitable level of clearance through the PVG scheme will be expected of all applicants
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
The interview process (dependant on the public health status) may include any of the following:
- One to one interview with a member of the sports team
- Participation in a sports-related group discussion
- Practical assessment to include sports participation and problem solving/team building activities
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 6.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
Following successful completion of HND Year 1 or 2 you may be able to access a range of degree-level courses at universities across Scotland and the UK in relevant subject areas. Although direct entry is not guaranteed, examples include:
- Edinburgh Napier University
- Abertay University
- Stirling University
- University of West of Scotland
- Heriot-Watt University
We strongly advise contacting universities directly to discuss potential progression routes with them.
A wide scope of employment opportunities relating to fitness health and exercise could be accessed in establishments such as:
- Active schools programme
- Fitness and leisure development roles
- Private health and fitness clubs
- Local authority sports centres and fitness clubs
- Hotels and conference centres with fitness facilities
- Sports clubs with a need for a fitness professional to support training
- You can start your own fitness health and exercise business
|Campus||Year of entry||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||1||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
|Granton Campus||2||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.