Foundation Apprenticeship in Creative and Digital Media - Graphic Design (SCP)
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Part time
Duration 39 weeks
Course enquiry form
THIS COURSE IS FOR S5 PUPILS WHO ARE STILL AT SCHOOL.
This course is intended to be studied alongside your high school subjects. Foundation Apprenticeship in Creative and Digital Media in Graphic Design is your first step towards an exciting career in the design industry.
You will study the principles of creative thinking, branding and logo design, and the use of Photoshop and In-Design to develop the skills and knowledge needed to produce a variety of design outcomes for both print and online platforms. You will develop vital industry skills within the School of Art and Design studios and Mac Labs. This is a two-year course taught at Edinburgh College Granton campus.
In year one you will attend College for around two afternoons a week and complete a National Progression Award (NPA) in Creative and Digital Media (SCQF Level 6). In year two you will spend around 10 hours a week at Edinburgh College and at a work placement. Work placements may be paid and will give you hands-on experience of working in a design agency to gain the essential workplace skills for further employment or study. This course will lead to further study of graphics or user experience at a higher level and a potential career in the industry.
- You will do an industry-related work placement either within the industry or within a realistic working environment at Edinburgh College.
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed through both practical and written assignments
Number of days per week
- Approximately 2 afternoons per week on Tuesday and Thursday, 1.30 pm-4.00 pm
- Studying National 5 Art and Design would be an advantage
- Pupils should be working towards achieving one or two Highers over S5 and S6
- The ability to work towards an SCQF Level 6 (Higher) qualification
- An interest in a career in the Design industry
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Gain direct employment at entry level in the Graphic or User Experience Design sector
- Gain accelerated entry into a Modern Apprenticeship in the Creative Sector
- Progress onto a Graduate Apprenticeship
- Progress to College - direct access to a variety of HND courses, for example, HND Visual Communications: Graphics or User Experience (depending on Portfolio)
- Progress to University – Dependant on other gained qualifications and Portfolio
- Graphic Designer
- UX Designer
- Web/App Designer
Our Creative Industries Faculty
Our Creative Industries faculty offers a variety of courses which help prepare students to stand out from the crowd in their chosen field, be it art and design, broadcast media and photography, music and sound production, performing arts or computing.
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Part time||23/08/22||39 Weeks|
National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher Enrolment Events 2022
Our Enrolment Events are for those wishing to apply for an Advanced Higher, Higher or National 5 course.