Foundation Apprenticeship in Engineering (SCP)
Campus Midlothian Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Part time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This course is for pupils who are in their final years of high school. This course is intended to be studied alongside your high school subjects.
Foundation Apprenticeship in Engineering is your first step towards an exciting career in engineering. The course will develop your skills and knowledge of the engineering industry. You will learn both the theoretical and practical aspects of engineering. This will give you an insight into the engineering workplace and allow you to gain hands-on experience.
You will attend College for approximately three afternoons a week. In year one you will complete a National Certificate in Engineering (SVQF Level 6). In year two you will complete an SVQ2 in Performing Engineering Operations (SCQF level 5) in our industry-approved facilities.
What you will learn
- You will gain industry-related work experience either within industry or within a realistic working environment
- This course may include trips to energy-specific sites
- You will be taught how to compile a portfolio in the workshop phase, which will provide you with written evidence of what you have achieved. This will also help to improve your chances of selection at future job interviews.
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed at the end of each outcome
Number of days per week
- Tuesday, Thursday and Friday afternoons
- Time: 1:30pm - 4:30pm
- Grade A-C in National 5 Mathematics and Physics, or a science-related subject
- Applicants must be studying Higher Mathematics in S5
- Applicants must have an interest in a career in the Engineering Sector
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- If your application is successful you will be invited for an interview at Edinburgh College to assess if this is the correct course for you.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- HNC in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Engineering Systems at SVQF level 7 at Edinburgh College
- Further study at a university level
- Modern or Graduate Apprenticeship
- Mechanical or electrical engineering
- Engineering systems
- Renewable energies
- Power transmission and distribution
- Oil and gas
- Construction and energy management
- Emerging technologies
- Marine engineering
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Midlothian Campus||Part time||22/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.