Foundation Apprenticeship in Information Technology: Software Development (SCP)
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Part time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
THIS COURSE IS SPECIFICALLY FOR SENIOR PHASE SCHOOL PUPILS WHILE STILL AT SCHOOL.
There are more than 7,000 workplaces in Scotland’s IT & Telecoms industry and this course aims to help you become part of this interesting, well paid and ever-evolving workplace.
Software development (programming) is behind every app you use, every computer game you play and every software package on your digital devices. It’s about databases, virtual reality and robotics – and much more. Where it goes next is up to you.
FA Software Development helps you discover what a career in software engineering, Web development or digital technologies is like and if it’s right for you, while you are still at school. You will try software development roles, shadow experienced developers, or do a special project. You will build the practical skills and experience you need to do the job well.
What you will learn
In year one (S5) you will complete the following units at Edinburgh College:
- Computing Applications: Development
- Computing: Authoring a Website
- Software Design and Development
In year two (S6) you will have a mixture of College and workplace delivery where you will develop work-ready skills undertake a project for your employer and complete the following units as you work and some classroom based.
- Personal Effectiveness
- Health and Safety in IT
- Telecom Investigating
- Defining Customer Requirements for IT & Telecoms Systems
- Data Modeling 1
- Object-Oriented Computer Programming
- In year two (S6) you will be partly at College and delivered partly in the workplace where you will develop work-ready skills
Number of days per week
- Tuesday and Thursday afternoons
- Time: 1:30 pm - 4:30 pm
- This course has homework and you shud expect to add at least 3 hours per week of homework to complete the course
- National 5 Maths, English and science-related subject (National 5 Applications to Mathematics is acceptable )
- You should be working towards achieving one or two Highers over S5 and S6, one of which ideally will be Computing
- Consideration will still be given to all those not meeting these exact qualifications
- You need to complete an online screening to assess your current skills and experience
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- NPA Software Development and Web
- NPA Software Development and Digital Design
If combined with other qualifications:
- HND Software Development
- HND Web Development
- HND Digital Design
- University entry
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Part time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.