Foundation Apprenticeship Social Services and Health Care (SCP)
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Part time
Duration 42 weeks
Course enquiry form
Foundation Apprenticeship (FA) in Social Services and Healthcare involves caring for vulnerable people, to help them live in comfort and dignity. Supporting people when they need it most; that’s what working in this rewarding and vital sector means. FA in Social Services and Healthcare helps you discover what a career in care would be like, and if it's right for you, while you are still at school.
You will have an opportunity to experience what working within the care sector is really like and discover the kind of jobs that you can do within the sector. You will shadow experienced staff and be involved in an industry-related project. You will build the practical skills and experience you need to do the job well.
What you will learn
Year one - you will complete the following units at Edinburgh College along with an industry-related project and a work placement. These units will be supported by a lecturer and the employers where you will do your work placement.
- Social Services in Scotland
- Communication in Care Relationships
- Safe Practice and Wellbeing in Social Services
- Human Development and Social Influences
You will also do one of the optional units from SVQ 2 Social Services in Healthcare on your day in placement in year one.
Year two - you will spend around 8-10 hours a week in placement and complete the mandatory units and one other optional unit from SVQ 2 Social Services and Healthcare. On successful completion of these units and on gaining the overall group award you will have an industry-recognised and registerable qualification that employers are looking for.
- You will be on placement from the beginning of February in your first year and one day a week in your second year.
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed throughout your FA in college and the workplace through written assignments, projects, presentations and practical assessments.
Number of days per week
- Tuesday, Thursday and Friday afternoons
To be able to do this course you will need to have a real desire to work within the care sector, primarily within Social Care. This course is aimed at someone who wants to go direct to work after leaving school and not to the university.
- Four National 4 qualifications including English
- Studying National 5 English, progressing to Higher English
- The previous study in a related subject would be an advantage
- A PVG check is compulsory
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You will write a personal statement and then have an interview. Once accepted you will make a formal application to Edinburgh College
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- HNC Social Services taught at Edinburgh College
- HNC Working with Communities taught at Edinburgh College
- If you have an additional Higher plus National 5 Biology you could progress onto HNC Care and Administrative Practice
- These HNCs could lead to degree entry
- The FA can also provide a stepping stone to achieving a Modern Apprenticeship in SVQ3 (SCQF level 7) Social Services and Healthcare and employment at the practitioner level in adult services
- SVQ 3 Social Services and Healthcare is the benchmark qualification for registration with the SSSC as a practitioner in adult services
Enter straight into a job in Health or Social Care as a Support Worker. Typical areas of work could include:
- Public health
- Daycare for adults or people with learning disabilities
- Homecare as well as roles within the NHS at the support worker level
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Part time||21/08/23||42 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.