French Advanced Higher
Campus OL - Open Learning/Cross Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Study mode Open learning
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
French Advanced Higher is designed to develop your knowledge and skills in the French language. You will be exposed to the language over a length of time in order to acquire greater fluency, flexibility and accuracy. This course will expand on what you have previously studied and focus on developing your ability to understand and express ideas and opinions in French as you learn about current affairs and issues from the viewpoint of those living in other countries than your own. The course will improve your ability to read, listen, talk and write in French. You will develop valuable translation skills and be in a great position to study the language further at a university level.
What you will learn
- Develop Skills in Reading, Listening, Writing and Speaking within the four Contexts of Society; Learning, Employability and Culture
- Translation Skills
- Essay Writing Skills and Analytical Skills
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed through the Advanced Higher SQA exam, which takes place at College, usually in May. The speaking component is also assessed at College, but earlier in the year (usually in March).
Number of days per week
- This course runs online for a total of 36 weeks.
- Tuesday and/or Thursday afternoon, digital classroom (using Microsoft Teams).
- Open learning - Moodle self-study and scheduled Teams calls, possible access to digital classrooms if compatible with the timetable
- Higher French or relevant component units or other SQA qualifications in French studied at SCQF Level 6
- You can apply with equivalent qualifications in French or if you have extensive experience in French
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- An interview or test may be required if you have an equivalent qualification or experience in French
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Further study in modern languages or related areas
- This course alongside other qualifications can be used to apply for a variety of university courses
With further study you gain employment in the following:
- Tourism officer
- International relations
- International Business
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|OL - Open Learning/Cross Campus||Open learning||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.