Games Development NC
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
Computer Games Software Development NC is designed to teach you all aspects of computer game development. You will learn fundamental skills in subjects such as Software Development, Animation, Design Graphics, Coding and the technology behind computer games.
The UK, and Scotland in particular, has built a strong computer games industry and is seen as a global leader in the sector. The industry is a major contributor to the UK economy with over £2billion worldwide sales in 2018. The industry is looking for job-ready graduates with specialist skills and a good understanding of the production processes, games software (animation and programming) as well as the soft skills needed to succeed in the industry.
This course covers everything you will need to progress on to further study of Computer Games Development at HND or university level. This course incorporates Higher Mathematics which is required for progression to HND or university-level study and thus Higher Mathematics will not need to be taken as a supplementary subject.
What you will learn
- Software Development
- About the Computer Games Industry
- Artificial Intelligence
- Interface Design
- Mobile Game Development
How the course is assessed
- The course is mainly assessed on your practical skills
- There will be some written assignments and multiple-choice tests
- The Graded Unit for year one is an exam and for year two is a project
- Mathematics is a Higher Exam
Number of days per week
- 4 Days
For school leavers: Six National 5’s at C pass with Mathematics at B level or equivalent, preferably one higher in a numerate subject or Computing
For everyone else: All enquiries are welcome regardless of qualifications. Edinburgh College computing staff can assess where you can start or progress in your computing career and find the right course for you
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- At the interview, you will be asked to take part in a Maths skills and experience screening exercise if you don't have or are not sitting National 5 Maths. You can prepare for the screening using BBC Bitesize materials available free online for national 5 maths curriculum.
- Please bring along any qualification certificates
- Further course information will be provided by a lecturer on the course as well as an opportunity for you to ask questions
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
With a B in Higher Mathematics and a good portfolio from this course you can progress to:
- HND Computer Games Development taught at Edinburgh College
- Various university degrees in computer software
- HND Digital Design and Development taught at Edinburgh College
- HND Software Development taught at Edinburgh College
- HND Computer Science taught at Edinburgh College
- HND Web Development taught at Edinburgh College
Discover the Creative Industries Faculty
Our Creative Industries faculty offers a variety of courses which help prepare students to stand out from the crowd in their chosen field, be it art and design, broadcast media and photography, music and sound production, performing arts or computing.
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Full time||29/08/22||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.