Grade 5 Music Theory Preparation (ABRSM)
OL - Open Learning/Cross Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 5
Duration 8 weeks
Choose your study options
Course enquiry form
Taught by an experienced Edinburgh College music lecturer, this course will help you acquire the knowledge and skills needed to sit the ABRSM Grade 5 Theory of Music exam. The course will be delivered online.
Please note that exam entry is not included in the course fee.
You will learn and consolidate all the necessary concepts for success in the exam: time signatures and rhythm, clefs and pitches, scales and key signatures, chords and cadences, terms, and instruments. The knowledge is also highly relevant to anyone considering studying music after school.
What you will learn
- Simple and irregular time signatures
- Grouping of notes and rests
- Treble, alto, tenor and bass clefs and pitches
- Scales and key signatures up to six sharps and flats
- Chords, inversions and cadences
- Terms and signs, instruments and instrument family groups
How the course is assessed
- No formal assessment, only practice assessment and guidance for entry to the external ABRSM exam.
Number of days per week
- Wednesdays 25th January – 22nd March (excluding 15th February), 6.30 – 7.45 pm - online
- Some experience and basic knowledge of music theory and music reading.
- Music student
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Evening||25/01/23||8 Weeks|
|OL - Open Learning/Cross Campus||Open learning||25/01/23||8 Weeks|
Come along to one of our Open Days this February to find out all you need to know about studying at Edinburgh College and the courses available to you.
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.