Healthcare Practice HNC
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
HNC Healthcare Practice is an innovative course designed to equip you with essential clinical knowledge and understanding. This course will prepare you for an undergraduate degree in Nursing and other health-related fields. This course will improve both your academic, professional and employability skills and is a step towards a rewarding career in the health sector. It combines the required academic knowledge with the skills and competencies gained from a clinical placement within the care sector. This qualification is also suitable if you want to work as a Health Care Support Worker.
What you will learn
- Clinical Skills for Care Practitioners
- Professional Standards for Care Practitioners
- Safe Working Practice
- The Human Body in Health and Illness
- Sociology and Health in Scotland
- Therapeutic Relationships
- Core and academic skills
You will complete a mandatory placement as part of your course within the Care Home Sector where you will be expected to complete a minimum of 288 hours over the time of your course. This will be done through some block weeks and two days a week during most of your course.
Please be aware that if your placement is outwith NHS Lothian you may have to purchase your own unifrom.
How the course is assessed
- Class tests
- Case studies
- Presentations and group work
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week and have 2 days per week placement (Around October to March for placement)
- 2 Highers (including English). We will consider the following Highers Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Human Biology, Geography and Physical Education
- As well as a minimum of Int 2 Biology/ N5 Biology or equivalent 5 Standard Grades at credit level including Maths or N5 equivalent
- Mature students without the formal qualifications would require to demonstrate the ability to study at the HNC level
- Your application may be considered if you have successfully completed a relevant NC at Level 6 which includes Biology
- You will also be required to complete a detailed personal statement that demonstrates the following
- skills and qualities
- any relevant experience
- field of health you want to progress into
- your reasons for applying
- As you have a work placement on your course you will be required to provide information on your health status and have a satisfactory PVG.
English Proficiency RequirementsILETS 5.5, be aware that university ILETS requirements may be higher
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Degree studies at university in a variety of health disciplines including Nursing
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.