HNC Computing (Leading to HND Software or Networking)
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
HNC Computer Science is a stepping stone towards a career in a specialist computing science subject. During this course, you will learn a diverse range of essential computing industry skills from troubleshooting computer problems to software development and CISCO networking.
This course is an ideal choice if you are not yet sure where your strengths lie or what area of computing you wish to specialise in.
Discover dynamic skills as you develop your knowledge of IT and achieve your career ambitions. This unique course allows you to explore different disciplines in the computer science industry before deciding on a specialist subject in semester two of your 1st year of study.
You can choose one of two specialist paths based on your experience and strengths. These two paths will lead to a career in either software development or computer networking and security. This is a hands-on and practical course that will enhance your employability skills.
Each subject area you cover is tailored towards jobs available in the industry to make sure you get the best education to progress towards a specialist HND in computing science. All compatible Edinburgh College HND courses have third-year entry to Edinburgh Napier University or Heriot-Watt University. Alternatively, you can apply to a university upon completion of your HNC and gain entry to the first year of a university course.
What you will learn
These subjects include all possible routes and so options will depend on your choices during the course.
- Computer Hardware and Systems
- Operating Systems
- Software Development
- Ethical Hacking
- Cisco Networking
- System Development
- Object Orientated Programming
How the course is assessed
- The course is mainly assessed on your practical skills
- There will be some written assignments and multiple-choice tests
- The Graded Unit for year one is an exam
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week class contact time (approximately).However the course is demanding and asignements and projets will be set for you to complete in your own time and so it is reccommended that you can dedicate 5 days per week to this course.
- For school leavers: Three Highers at C pass to include, Mathematics and Computing, or a Science.
- For college learners: SCQF Level 6 course Computing qualification
- For everyone else: All enquiries are welcome regardless of qualifications. Edinburgh College computing staff can assess where you can start or progress in your computing career and find the right course for you
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You will be invited to attend an interview where you will be asked to complete a screening exercise online to assess your skills.
- During the interview you will be given information on the course from a lecturer
- You may be invited for a futher interview with a lecturer
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 6.0 and Ideally no component below 5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Progression to an HND year 2 Software Development or Networking with a B in your graded unit.
- After one year with the college you could progress on to various Computing University degree courses with year one or two entry depending on the course
- Employment in a wide range of posts in the IT and computing industry
Discover the Creative Industries Faculty
Our Creative Industries faculty offers a variety of courses which help prepare students to stand out from the crowd in their chosen field, be it art and design, broadcast media and photography, music and sound production, performing arts or computing.
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Full time||29/08/22||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.