HNC Retail with Fashion
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
The HNC in Retail is designed as a first step to preparing you for a managerial career in the retail industry or to help you on to further specialist study at university.
This course will give you what you need to be able to run and manage your own store or as part of a local or national retailer as a part of their management team. You will develop essential team-building skills which will enable you to effectively manage and coordinate in-store activities not only to achieve but exceed company demands and show you at your best.
You will be taught by lecturers with many years of retail experience with a thorough knowledge of the day-to-day demands of working in and managing retail outlets. Whether you progress to further studies at a university or with an employer you will be well-grounded in the skills knowledge and attributes that are essential for a successful career in retail today. There will be opportunities for you to participate in a programme of visits and guest speakers giving you further insight into the industry.
What you will learn
- The subject areas you will cover within this course include -
- Consumer Behaviour and the Marketing Process
- Fashion Merchandising
- Digital Culture: Online Communication
- Organisations and Management
- Retail Law
- Retail Customer Experience
- Stock Presentation
- Managing an Event
- You will also have the opportunity to use these skills within the team's Retail shop based at the Sighthill campus
- Although there is no mandatory work placement attached to this course you are recommended to seek work experience within the retail industry to support your studies. Your course tutor can assist you in finding suitable work experience.
How the course is assessed
- Open book
- Closed book
- Port folios
- Practical observations
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week
A minimum 1 Higher at grade C or above from the following:
- Modern Studies
- Religious Studies
- Social Science
- Business Management
- Plus 3 National 5`s or 3 Standard Grades at Grade 3 or above (two of which should be Maths and English) or satisfactory completion of appropriate SCQF 5 or 6 SQA course/units
- If you do not meet these criteria but have relevant work experience we welcome your application
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You will be invited into College for an information session and the opportunity to speak to one of the lecturing team on a one-to-one basis.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- B.A. (Hons) Fashion Womenswear
- B.A. (Hons) Fashion Marketing with Retail
- B.A. (Hons) Fashion Menswear
- B.A. (Hons) Fashion Communication
- B.A. (Hons) Fashion
University of Stirling:
- B.A./B.A. (Hons) Retail Marketing
- Employment opportunities - In-store operations merchandising and buying
- Employment in the retail industry at trainee supervisory or managerial level
- Progression to degree-level courses in Retail Management or Business Management
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Full time||29/08/22||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.