HND Sports Coaching and Developing Football year 1
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 8
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
The HND in Sports Coaching and Developing Football provides the knowledge and skills necessary to work as a professional within the sector. The topics covered range from human anatomy, physiology and biomechanics to sports coaching, sports development and professional practice — including research skills.
This qualification will provide you with structured opportunities to experience the culture required for successful employment in football coaching. It will allow you to develop confidence and interpersonal and leadership skills while enhancing your knowledge and expertise in football coaching.
Year 1 includes a stand-alone, industry-recognised Professional Development Award in Sports Coaching at SCQF level 7. Year 2 advances the PDA in Sports Coaching to SCQF level 8.
What you will learn
You will learn methods and techniques used in football coaching to develop yourself as a sports coaching practitioner, which could ultimately lead to a range of employment opportunities. You’ll be encouraged to take responsibility for your own learning and develop transferable and employability skills such as; independent research, planning, evaluating, presenting and working in a team.
How the course is assessed
For both years, course assessment is ongoing throughout two 18 week blocks. Methods of assessment are varied and can include: written assessments, oral presentations, group exercises, projects, case studies and practical exercises.
Number of days per week
- A minimum of 2 Higher passes at grade A-C.
- Other relevant and similarly levelled qualifications will be considered such as:
- NPAs at Higher level in appropriate subject areas (Sport and Recreation/Sports Development/Achieving Excellence in Sport)
- BTEC Level 3 Diploma or Subsidiary Diploma in Sport
- S/NVQs at level 3
- SGAs at Higher level in an appropriate subject area (Sport/Fitness).
- A minimum of 2 GCE AS and/or A levels at grade A-C in relevant subjects.
- You should be able to provide evidence of, or are expecting to meet, the minimum entry requirements by August 2022.
- You should currently be participating regularly in coaching and physical activities.
- Being able to achieve a suitable level of clearance through the PVG scheme will be expected of all applicants.
You may be a candidate who comes from a non-traditional route such as a mature returnee or one who wishes to change career or perhaps retrain following a career break to raise a family. In these or other cases we would take into account work experience, life skills and potential ability. You may be expected to submit a brief written assignment or essay, before the interview, to provide some indication of academic standing and communication skills.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
The interview process (dependant on the public health status) may include any of the following:
- One to one interview with a member of the sports team
- A discussion on your aims, objectives and personal goals
- Practical assessment to include football performance and problem solving/team building activities
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 6.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
From HND year one you may progress onto HND year 2 or be able to access a range of Degree level courses at Universities across Scotland and the UK in relevant subject areas. Although not guaranteed, examples could include:
- BSc (Hons) Sports Coaching, year 2 entry at Edinburgh Napier University
- BSc (Hons) Football Coaching, Performance and Development, year 2 entry at Edinburgh Napier University
- BSc (Hons) Sport and Fitness, year 2 entry at University of Highlands and Islands
- BA (Hons) Sports Management, year 2 entry at University of Highlands and Islands
From HND year two you may be able to access a range of Degree level courses like the above but at direct entry for year 3.
We strongly advise contacting universities directly to discuss potential progression routes with them
You may gain direct entry to employment in a coaching or sports development capacity in a range of fitness or sports-based environments such as:
- Football clubs
- Private and Local Authority sport and fitness clubs. .
- Sports clubs that require coaching and sports development personnel to support training players/athletes.
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Full time||29/08/22||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.