ICDL Databases Microsoft Access Advanced (Formerly ECDL)
Campus OL - Open Learning/Cross Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Evening
Duration 41 weeks
(see funding options)
Course enquiry form
The International Certificate in Digital Literacy (formerly European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL)) is an Internationally recognised qualification that enables individuals to develop their competence in computer skills.
This is a highly sought-after qualification by most businesses and enhances any current employment. This formal qualification will provide you with a better understanding of computer programs you may have to use at work. You will gain digital literacy skills and improve your productivity and efficiency when using computers.
The Advanced Microsoft Access module is designed to develop your skills and knowledge in the use of more advanced operations associated with Microsoft Access.
The qualification leads to a BCS, British Computer Society Certificate
A Windows device is a requirement as the learning materials are not compatible with Macs and other platforms
What you will learn
- Understand key concepts of database development and usage.
- Create a relational database using advanced table creation features and complex relationships between tables.
- Design and use queries to create a table, update, delete and append data. Refine queries using wildcards, parameters and calculations.
- Use controls and subforms to enhance forms and improve functionality.
- Create report controls to perform calculations. Create subreports and enhance report presentation. Enhance productivity by working with macros and using linking and importing features to integrate data.
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed through online assessments
- These assessments will be mostly practical
- There will be some theory testing
Number of days per week
This is an open-learning course. There will be a cut-off where you will have to have completed the course so be mindful of when you join the course throughout the year in order to give yourself enough time.
- Minimum of ECDL (ICDL) Extra or Equivalent
- You will need to have very competent IT/ computer skills
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
There is 1 diagnostic test and 1 exam for this course and you must sit them at an Edinburgh College campus.
If you don't sit them at an Edinburgh College campus, you will need to source your own BCS-accredited testing centre and pay their additional fees to use it.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- A variety of digital based college courses in the areas of computing and Business at SCQF Level 6
- You may need to have other qualifications or experience to complement this certificate depending on your chosen course
- This qualification enhances the chance of promotion and is useful for careers in Data Science.
|OL - Open Learning/Cross Campus
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.