ICDL Microsoft Word Advanced (Formerly ECDL)
Campus OL - Open Learning/Cross Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Open learning
Duration 41 weeks
(see funding options)
Course enquiry form
The International Certificate in Digital Literacy (formerly European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL)) is an Internationally recognised qualification that enables individuals to develop their competence in computer skills. This is a highly sought-after qualification by most businesses and enhances any current employment. This formal qualification will provide you with a better understanding of computer programs you may have to use at work. You will gain digital literacy skills and improve your productivity and efficiency when using computers. The Advanced Microsoft Word module is designed to develop your skills and knowledge in using more advanced operations associated with Microsoft Word.
ICDL has been split into three different levels to make it more achievable; Essentials, Extra and Advanced which are all validated through the British Computer Society. All the ECDL open learning courses are eligible for ITA (SDS Individual Training Accounts) funding. This is up to £200 towards the cost of a course.
Please note: There is 1 diagnostic test and 1 exam per module for this course and you must sit them at an Edinburgh College campus.
If you don't sit them at an Edinburgh College campus, you will need to source your own BCS-accredited testing centre and pay additional fees to use it.
A Windows device is a requirement as the learning materials are not compatible with Macs and other platforms
What you will learn
- Apply advanced text, paragraph, column and table formatting. Maintain a consistent design through the use of character and paragraph styles.
- Work with referencing features like footnotes, endnotes and captions. Manage citations and bibliography using a chosen citation style. Create tables of contents, indexes and cross-references. Enhance productivity by using fields, forms and templates.
- Apply advanced mail merge techniques and work with automation features like macros.
- Use linking and embedding features to integrate data.
- Collaborate on and review documents locally or online. Apply document security features.
- Work with watermarks, sections, headers and footers in a document. Use a thesaurus and manage to spell-check settings.
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed through online assessments
- These assessments will be mostly practical
- There will be some theory testing
Number of days per week
This is an open-learning course. There will be a cut-off where you will have to have completed the course so be mindful of when you join the course throughout the year in order to give yourself enough time.
- Minimum of ICDL Extra or Equivalent
- You will need to have very competent IT/ computer skills
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
There are 1 diagnostic test and 1 exam for this course and you must sit them at an Edinburgh College campus.
If you don't sit them at an Edinburgh College campus, you will need to source your own BCS-accredited testing centre and pay their additional fees to use it
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- A variety of digital-based college courses in the areas of computing and Business at SCQF Level 6
- You may need to have other qualifications or experience to complement this certificate depending on your chosen course
- This qualification enhances the chance of employment or promotion.
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration||Cost|
|OL - Open Learning/Cross Campus||Open learning||28/08/23||41 Weeks||
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.