Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 5
Study mode Part time
Duration 20 weeks
Course enquiry form
Edinburgh College is one of the largest year-round providers of English Language courses in Scotland. All College Based ESOL classes are accredited by the British Council for the teaching of English in the UK.
The course aims to prepare you for the IELTS exam and to help you move up at least half a band level on the IELTS scale. You will work towards preparing to take the IELTS exam through Edinburgh College (EC) units. This course is appropriate if you need an IELTS score of 6 or more to allow you to access university or to register with the General Medical Council. You will focus on developing your English language skills and learning techniques for the IELTS exam covering all aspects of the reading, writing, listening and speaking papers.
You will be expected to buy the course materials as specified by your tutor (approximately £45). The IELTS exam fee (approximately £160) is not included in the cost of the course.
The average class size is 18 – 20 with a maximum of 23. You must be aged 16 or older to study ESOL courses in college.
Support for students aged 16 and 17
All 16 and 17-year-olds are given a 24-hour emergency number.
Information on ‘Keeping yourself safe in Edinburgh’ is provided at induction. A tutorial system is in place for students to discuss progress or any problems with their teacher.
Students are supervised in class, on class trips/activities, and during work placements.
Parental consent is required for class trips and work placements. Outside these hours there is no supervision of 16 and 17-year-olds.
What you will learn
- English skills in reading writing, listening and speaking in an academic context
- Academic study skills
- Preparation for the IELTS exam
How the course is assessed
- There will be regular assessment tasks throughout the course to monitor your progress including mock IELTS tests
- To take the IELTS test you need to register at a test centre
- Your tutor can give you advice on when you are ready to take the test and provide a registration form
Number of days per week
- Two days per week - Tuesday and Thursday (4 hours per week)
- On campus or online (subject to interest)
You should have a level of English equivalent to IELTS 5.5, SQA National 5 grade B or above or Cambridge First Certificate at grade B or above
International students (students from outside the UK without Settled or pre-settled status excluding asylum seekers, refugees and Humanitarian Protection Status) will need to check visa requirements. Please go to the International section of the website.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You will be asked to submit a test to check your language level and suitability for the course
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Gain your IELTS certificate at an approved centre
- Progress to university/further study. Gain medical registration
- On successful completion of this course, you will be ready to take the IELTS exam to gain medical registration if you are a practising medical professional
ESOL Course Fee Information
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Part time||29/08/23||20 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.