IMI Diploma in Heavy Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Principles Modern Apprenticeship route
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 5
Study mode Block release
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This course is aimed at commercial vehicle apprentices employed in the industry on a Modern Apprenticeship Scheme. Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI) Diploma in Heavy Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Principles will give you the skills needed to build your knowledge and competence when working on heavy vehicle repairs.
This Vocational Related Qualification (VRQ) provides the essential knowledge and skills for heavy vehicle technicians working on a wide range of vehicles in all types of garages, dealerships and specialist businesses.
The course is taught at Edinburgh College’s Sighthill campus in our workshops and lecture rooms by teachers with industry experience. Workshop learning will allow you to work on live vehicles to best simulate a real working environment. The workshops have all the necessary resources for you to fully engage in the motor vehicle industry.
This course runs as a block release. Block release will involve students studying for 8 one-week blocks throughout the academic year. You will spend the remainder of your time working at your employer's gaining vital industry experience.
What you will learn
The SCQF 5 course involves studying both the theoretical and practical aspects of the industry, including:
- Routine Heavy Vehicle Maintenance
- Heavy Vehicle Engine Units and Components
- Heavy Vehicle Electrical Units and Components
- Heavy Vehicle Chassis Units and Components
- Heavy Vehicle Transmission and Driveline Units and Components
You will gain a broad knowledge and understanding of Health and Safety in the workplace and other skills associated with working in a garage environment.
How the course is assessed
The assessment of this VRQ is made up of two components:
- IMI set practical tasks
- IMI set online testing
Number of days per week
- Block-release - 8 one-week blocks throughout the academic year
- You must be on a Modern Apprenticeship Scheme.
Entry qualifications are set by your employer but are generally:
- National 4 or above in English, Mathematics, Science or a Technical subject
- A consultation with the employer and Modern Apprenticeship advisor is essential
Progression and Articulation Routes
- IMI Diploma in Heavy Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Principles (SCQF 6)
- This course will allow you to progress to a higher level within your Modern Apprenticeship.
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Block release||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.