IMI Diploma in Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair R763 04 (SCQF 7)
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This Vocational Related Qualification (VRQ) provides the essential knowledge and skills for learners wishing to gain a comprehensive understanding of automotive diagnostic principles. This level of programme will focus on the diagnostic repair principles and will rely on applicants already having a good knowledge of routine maintenance and repair principles.
This programme provides an excellent opportunity for progression into employment or a Modern Apprenticeship.
What you will learn
The SCQF 7 programme involves studying both the theory and practical aspects, including:
- Diagnosis and rectification of light vehicle engine faults
- Diagnosis and rectification of light vehicle chassis faults
- Diagnosis and rectification of light vehicle transmission and driveline faults
- Diagnosis and rectification of light vehicle auxiliary electrical fault
- Knowledge of carrying out non-high voltage operations on, near or with an electric vehicle
You will also gain a broad knowledge and understanding of health and safety in the workplace and other skills associated with working in a garage environment.
How the course is assessed
The assessment of this VRQ is made up of 3 components:
- The Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI) set practical tasks
- IMI set online testing
- Submissions to your ePortfolio
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week for 36 weeks
- IMI Diploma in Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair SCQF 5 (or equivalent)
- A positive learner reference from a previous course or college is desirable
- Three National 5s (Intermediate 2) at Grade C or above in Maths, English and a Science or Technical subject
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the motor industry
You will be invited to participate in an informal discussion about the course at the recruitment stage. This may be as part of a group or on an individual basis and will initiate a conversation about the course content and your personal statement. This session will also include an aptitude or skills-based exercise.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- IMI Level 2 or 3 Award in Electric/Hybrid Vehicle System Repair and Maintenance
- Progression to employment and apprenticeship training
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.