Introduction to Level 2 Hairdressing
Milton Road Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 5
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Choose your study options
Course enquiry form
This exciting 36-week course covers the skills required to start your career in the Hairdressing industry.
Throughout the course, you will have practical sessions working on clients and Mannequin heads along with theory classes covering the knowledge required to complete all written work as part of your course. You will be required to have access to IT to enable you to complete parts of the course e.g. laptop, Pc, iPhone, Android phone, Tablet, Ipad.
You will work as a team with your peers preparing and delivering hairdressing services including shampooing, conditioning, blow drying and removing colour, as well as with your own clients. You must also be prepared to work with other people to allow you to complete the practical elements of the course.
Training at Edinburgh College will enhance your employability prospects as we have an exceptional standard of facilities and highly qualified lecturers. You will work in our salons or studios providing a realistic industry environment and gain essential practical experience working on paying clients with high-end product companies such as Wella which will enhance your employment prospects. Edinburgh College is not only a recognised Centre of Excellence by Wella; but also houses the Wella Training Studio for Scotland. This amazing collaboration ensures students receive the most up-to-date training in new innovations and techniques within the industry.
Once successfully completing the course you can then progress into either the level 2 Hairdressing or Level 2 Barbering courses the following August where you will complete your full Award
- There is an additional cost for course kits, uniforms and books which must be purchased prior to starting the course.
- Students will also be expected to bring in clients for practice and assessment purposes
If you are interested in being a model for our students or want to try out our star facilities before beginning your studying journey, simply book in for a treatment.
Hair Salons, Beauty Salons and Barbershop | Edinburgh CollegeWhat you will learn
- Consultation Services
- Health & Safety
- Shampoo and Condition Hair
- Dry, Style and Treat the Hair & Scalp
- Plait and Twist using Basic Techniques
- Preparation to Cut & Clipper Services
- Preparation to Set, style and dress hair
- Preparation to Colour and lighten the hair
- Working as a Team Member
- Work Placement
- All students at this level will take part in a work placement programme for one day a week (9-4 pm) from January
How the course is assessed
- All practical aspects of the course are assessed on paying clients within our salons
- The theory aspects of the course are carried out online, completing open-book assignments
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week (9-4 pm) plus one evening (4:30-8:00 pm)
- 1-Day Work Placement (this is mandatory)
- All applicants must be 16 years of age or older before the start of the course and hold:
- Minimum of 2 National 4 passes, plus 3 Core Skill passes – preferably in ICT, Communication, Numeracy
- Have completed SCP VTCT level 1 Extended Certificate and VTCT level 2 Certificate in Hair and Beauty Skills,
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
Applicants will be given a date to attend campus for an open evening recruitment event which will involve:
- Group Information session with Q & As
- Face-to-face interview
- Skills Test to ensure you have the correct dexterity skills for the course (please see details below
- Written Dermatitis task – the relevant information will be provided to assist with this task. – this task will be scored
In exceptional cases, the interview may be carried out via Microsoft Teams or a formal telephone interview, where you will be asked relevant questions relating to the course, your goals and your experience.
A skills test will be required on a mannequin head at a commercially viable time.
You will also be requested to complete a basic written task on the topic of Dermatitis. Relevant information will be provided to assist with this task. – this task will also be scored.
The formal interview has a scoring criterion based on - communication skills at the interview, along with, the skills test and Dermatitis task.
Hair and Beauty Applicant Privacy Notice
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Level 2 Hairdressing
- Level 2 Barbering – Granton Campus
- Opportunity into employment within the Hairdressing industry at a junior level or continue with your to Level 2 Hairdressing or Level 2 Barbering the following academic year
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
|Milton Road Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.