Introduction to Social Services
Milton Road Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 5
Study mode Full time
Duration 20 weeks
Choose your study options
Course enquiry form
Introduction to Social Services is designed to channel your passion for working with others and is a stepping stone towards a rewarding career in the social services sector. This course is all about starting you on your learning journey toward a professional qualification and offers a broad range of learning experiences that will fully prepare you for further study or employment.
The subjects chosen for this course are varied and current and aim to both prepare you for the modern challenges of the care sector as well as offer you a rewarding and enjoyable learning experience here at Edinburgh College. A career in social services is a career that will impact many people’s lives. Throughout your studies, you will make links between learning and practice and by the end of the programme, you will have a thorough foundation of understanding that will prepare you well for the next steps in your learning journey.
This course is a short full-time course that upon successful completion either leads directly into either our Social Services Professions Level 6 course (either August or January start) or prepares the learner with an excellent level 5 qualification for employment.
What you will learn
- Communication skills
- Practical skills for care work
- An understanding of basic social services-related theory
- Study skills
- A broad understanding of the social care sector
- Digital skills for current care practice
How the course is assessed
- Case study projects and SQA national assessments
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week - one day in college, one day learning online and one study day
- Minimum four National 4s (or equivalent) including English
- Previous SCQF Level 4 Course at College
- Mature candidates who do not possess these formal qualifications may be considered where you can demonstrate your ability to study at this level
- We are unable to accept applicants onto the course who will be under 16 years of age on the first day of the course starting.
- Entry is also conditional on successfully participating in a pre-course group information session
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- If you meet the entry requirements you will be invited to College for an information session after which offers will be made
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Social Services Professions (Level 6)
- NC Working With Communities
- NC Health and Social Care
- These courses lead to HNC-level study and eventually professional qualification through university study
- Introduction to Social Services is designed to prepare those interested in moving directly into employment in the care sector with the relevant skills and knowledge to excel as practitioners. Career options would be found within a broad range of care-related settings.
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Milton Road Campus||Full time||28/08/23||20 Weeks|
|Sighthill Campus||Full time||28/08/23||20 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.