Introduction to Sport and Fitness
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 4
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This is a practical based entry-level course designed to equip you for further study or employment within the sport and fitness industry. This course is designed to develop your knowledge, skills and self-confidence as well as provide a general understanding of the opportunities available within the wider sport and fitness industry. This course is ideal for school leavers or those in the early stages of finding an appropriate career path. If you are returning to education this course will allow you to return to study without the pressure to achieve at a level that may be too ambitious for you.
Edinburgh College has exceptional industry connections and you will?develop your problem-solving skills and ability to work with others through volunteering experiences?whilst gaining a general?understanding of the work environment in the sport and fitness sector.
What you will learn
- You will learn about the dynamic and innovative sport and fitness industry as well as explore your own personal fitness
- Lessons will be based on how to plan activity sessions and an understanding of what a “Healthy Lifestyle” means
- You will participate in a range of sports and be introduced?to Outdoor Pursuit activities and a basic understanding of how the bodyworks
How the course is assessed
You will be continually assessed through a variety of methods including written assessments, logbooks, group exercises, projects and practical exercises.
Number of days per week
- 4 days per week
- An active interest in sport and fitness
- Experience in assisting or volunteering in a sports coaching or active leisure environment would be an advantage but is not essential
- Core and essential skills at Access Level 3 or above
- If you do not have the formal entry requirements but you are a mature returnee or one who wishes to change career or perhaps retrain following a career break to raise a family, you are welcome to apply
- In these or other cases we would consider work experience, life skills and potential ability
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You will be invited to attend an interview where you will be expected to demonstrate your ability to participate in sports exercise and fitness activities
- The interview session may also include some written work to demonstrate your general knowledge in sports exercise and fitness activities and identify your personal aims objectives and potential career path
- There will be a one to one discussion with a member of the sport and fitness team
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Adventure Leadership Studies (Employment Development) taught at Edinburgh College
- SVQ Level 2 courses in Sports Coaching or Activity Leadership
- Exercise and Fitness Studies taught at Edinburgh College
It may be possible for you to gain direct entry to employment as:
- A recreation assistant
- Assistant coach
- Assistant lifeguard
- Sports leader
- It may also be possible to gain a traineeship which could offer further worked based learning in relevant areas perhaps leading to a Modern Apprenticeship
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.