Legal Services HNC
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This HNC may be of interest to candidates who are currently working, or wish to work, as a paralegal or pursue a career within the legal sector. This course is also ideal if you wish to progress to University to study law following the completion of an HND qualification. Please note that completion of the HN does not guarantee a place on an LLB, candidates should always check directly with Universities.
The course may be delivered using a blended learning model. This involves in-class lessons and some classes may be delivered online. You should have access to a PC, Desktop Computer or tablet.
What you will learn
- Scottish Legal System
- Scots Private Law
- Commercial Law
- Legal Research Techniques
- Scottish Criminal Law
- Scottish Criminal Procedure
- Property Law
- Consumer Law
How the course is assessed
Each subject will have different evidence requirements and approaches to assessment.
Some examples are provided below on the methods of assessments
- Open Book
- Exam – Close book controlled
- Project-based assessments
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week
- Minimum of Two relevant Highers at Grade C or above and a minimum of four National 5s at Grade C or above in relevant subjects, these must include English and Maths or equivalent; subjects may include Business related subjects, Maths, English, RMS. Social and Science based subjects; OR
- Relevant National Qualifications Group Award at SCQF level 6 or above
- Candidates will be considered on an individual basis
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You may be required to attend a group and/or individual interview and/or a skills check
English Proficiency RequirementsMinimum IELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- HND Legal
- Relevant University Degree
Employment opportunities in a variety of administrative roles in Central and Local government in Business or commercial contexts.
- Trainee Paralegal
- Banking and Insurance Sector
- Police Scotland
- Sheriff Court
- Fiscal Office
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.