Legal Services HND
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 8
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This is a two-year full-time HND Legal Services course. This course will provide you with a basic understanding of Scots Law and legal procedures. The course is developed in line with current professional practice to ensure we provide you with the latest skills and knowledge. You will be encouraged to build your confidence levels developing competence in a variety of specialised legal areas which will be vital to your success in the industry. This course prepares you for further study of Scots law at a university.
Edinburgh College has excellent industry connections and you will have access to Edinburgh University’s court where you can gain hands-on and practical experience of the industry. The Law Society frequently does guest lectures and you will attend visits to the best in the legal business; gaining essential law connections for your future career.
This course will be delivered using a blended learning model. You will have in-class theory bases lessons with some classes being delivered online. You should have access to a PC, Desktop Computer or tablet.
What you will learn
- Law and the Communication Industries
- Scots Private Law
- Scottish Legal System
- Legal Research Techniques
- Commercial Law
- Scottish Criminal Law
- Legal Services Graded Unit 1
- Property Law
- Legal Services
- Communication: Business Communication
How the course is assessed
- You will be continually assessed through written and practical assignments throughout the year.
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week
- Year one: Minimum of two Highers (Preference for those with English plus one other subject) at Grade C or above
- Year two: You must have passed all 15 credits at HNC level
- Successful personal statement
- Excellent English Language skills is essential
- If you do not have the formal qualifications asked for but you have relevant industry experience or other relevant qualifications may be considered
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- A group interview may be required
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Various university Law degree course
- BA (Hons) Business and Management, year 3 entry at University of Highlands and Islands
- Employment in a legal or business environment
- Trainee paralegal
- Legal assistant
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Full time||29/08/22||41 Weeks|
Come along to one of our Open Days this February to find out all you need to know about studying at Edinburgh College and the courses available to you.
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.