Makeup Artistry HND
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 8
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
Make-Up Artistry HND Year 1
This course will give you the skills you will need to pursue a career as a make-up artist, with a strong emphasis on the skills needed for TV, theatre and special effects. With lots of practical units, theory and background knowledge this course can lead to a freelance or commercial career. Performing Arts Studio Scotland (PASS) has exceptional facilities and you will have access to industry studios and professional make-up equipment. In the first year, you will focus on essential makeup skills, which you will build on in the second year.
Make-Up Artistry HND Year 2
In your second year, you will develop specific skills in specialised areas relevant to working within the performing arts industry. You will gain essential work experience throughout the course working alongside hair and beauty, photography, dance and performing arts students as well as at a variety of fun charity functions.
Upon completion of this course, you will be equipped with the skills and knowledge you need to pursue a successful career as a make-up artist. There is a whole range of exciting opportunities in TV, film and fashion. You will be in a great position to progress onto further degree-level studies too.
Please see below the information tasks that will need to be completed as part of the selection process.
What you will learn
- 20th-century hair styling and make-up
- Ageing skills
- History of hair and make-up
- Hairstyling for a photo shoot and hairstyling maintenance
- Production study for theatre
- Risk management, production safety and sustainability
- Prosthetic make-up and specialised make-up effects for TV and film.
- Body painting
- Period Hair and make-up
- Character skills and postiche for Tv, film and theatre
- Work placement
- Organising a promotional activity
- Lifecasting and mould making
- Production study for TV and film
- You will be given the opportunity to take part in a variety of work experience opportunities during your course
How the course is assessed
- Through practical demonstration e-folios and theoretical/research assignments
Number of days per week
- 3 days
- Applicants must have either a qualification at SCQF level 6 (such as Higher, NC or vocational qualifications) or previous relevant experience (qualified hairdresser, significant work as a MUA).
- Demonstrable computer skills would be considered advantageous but are not essential
Please note - all students who accept a place on this course are required to buy a makeup kit to support their studies. The price may vary, but is usually around £500 and must be purchased in time for the beginning of your studies. The kit contains a lot of specialist items for the units we study and we negotiate discounts with suppliers to get you the best deal possible. We encourage students to check their eligibility for student loans from SAAS and apply early for support; https://www.saas.gov.uk
We never want finances to stand in the way of your education, so you can also find details about discretionary funding from the college here; https://doc.edinburghcollege.ac.uk/courses/prospectus/funding%20information.pd
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
Tasks for Interview
1)Please include in your personal statement your reasons for wanting to study this course and who is your inspiration from the TV, Film and Theatre Industry
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- BA (Hons) Makeup for Media and Performance and a variety of other makeup artistry degree courses
- Further short courses in photography, hairdressing, beauty or body art
- Make-up artist in a salon
- Freelance make-up artist
- Work on TV and Film sets
- Make up artist on Fashion shoots
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.