Choose your study options
Course enquiry form
This course aims to provide successful performance in the SQA National 5 Maths exam and build upon and extend your existing knowledge of mathematics.
National 5 Maths is a fast-paced and challenging course and should only be undertaken by applicants who are already secure in their understanding of elementary aspects of algebra and trigonometry.
For classes taking place during the day you come to college twice a week for a two-hour class. Evening classes will run once a week for 3 hours.
Course Fees: £333 per subject. Fees will be confirmed when an application has been processed.
What you will learn
- This course covers many different topics including algebraic operations, indices, surds, trigonometry, quadratics and functions.
How the course is assessed
- Ongoing internal assessments to monitor progress
- External assessment (undertaken on campus) encompassing two question papers on the breadth of knowledge and skills you have acquired across the course
- Use of a calculator will be permitted in one of the question papers
Number of days per week
- 4 hours across 2 days per week. Tuesday and Thursday at the Sighthill campus (14.15-16.15) or
- 1 evening class per week on a Tuesday evening at the Sighthill campus (18.00-21.00)
Students need to attend every week at the allocated time. National 5 Maths is a demanding course and applicants need to ensure they can give the time and commitment required to pass the course.
- It is essential that you have gained a pass at National 4 Mathematics (or equivalent).
- It is recommended that you have also gained a pass at National 4 English
These courses are challenging and require the ability to study independently. Applicants should identify clearly the reason for studying their chosen subject in their course application.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You may be invited to sit a diagnostic test to assess your knowledge and suitability for the course.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration||Cost|
|Sighthill Campus||Evening||30/08/22||41 Weeks||
|Sighthill Campus||Part time||30/08/22||41 Weeks||
Come along to one of our Open Days this February to find out all you need to know about studying at Edinburgh College and the courses available to you.
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.