Modern Musicianship Performance and Production (SCP)
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Part time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This course is for S5 and S6 pupils who are still at school and have some instrumental/musical ability.
This practical and project-based course will provide an introduction to working in the areas of music performance and production (with an emphasis on writing, producing and performing music in different styles).
The main focus of the course is on developing creative music-making and performance skills. This will involve both individual and group songwriting and arranging (and re-arranging) of existing material and will involve performing in both a solo and band/ensemble context. Throughout the course, you will not only write, arrange and perform music but also learn the basics of music production making use of our fully equipped music technology spaces, studios, rehearsal rooms and auditorium. Due to the majority of the assessment on the course being of musical performances, it is essential that you have a pre-existing musical ability which will be reviewed with an online audition prior to starting the course.
Collaboration is at the core of the creative industries and our curriculum, and the structure of the course is mainly practical and project-based focusing on real industry examples and practices.
Completion of the course will lead to one NPA qualification at SQCF L6 and other SQA and centre-devised units:
- NPA Music Performing
- SQA Unit: Creative Project
- EC Unit: Music Technology Skills
What you will learn
- Instrumental performance skills
- Group performance skills
- Music Technology
- Live performance
- Events planning
- Music production
How the course is assessed
Mainly project based in the following areas:
- Group live performance
- Solo performance
- Music Production
Number of days per week
- 2 days per week (Tue/Thur afternoon)
- Equivalent to ABRSM grade 3 (or higher) on one instrument or voice
- Successful audition (online)
- Nat 4/5 qualifications in English and a creative subject
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
We ask you to record a short audition video, upload it to YouTube as 'unlisted', then paste the link into your application.
Instructions for pre-recorded video auditions:
Please record a video in which you
a) introduce yourself and
b) play or sing one short piece on your first instrument.
In your introduction:
- give your name and say where you are from
- say a little bit about your musical experience (including how long you have been playing or singing, and any experience of playing with other people in bands or ensembles)
- say which if any music exams you have done (within the school and/or outside school)
- say which piece you are going to play or sing, and (if you can) say why you chose it
In your playing or singing:
- please make every effort to use backing tracks/accompaniment where appropriate. If you can’t source backing tracks/accompaniment, please play or sing unaccompanied.
The video should then be uploaded to YouTube. In order to do this:
· Create a Google Account (if you don't already have one).
- Go to YouTube.com
- Click on 'Sign in' at the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- Once signed in, click on your profile icon at the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- Click on 'YouTube Studio' in the drop-down menu.
- Click on 'Upload videos'.
- Select the video to be uploaded.
- Add a title and brief description.
- Click through the 'Video elements' and 'Checks' sections.
- In the 'Visibility' section, check the 'Unlisted' box.
- Click 'SAVE'.
Please then paste the link to the video into your application.
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Part time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.