Music Business HND
Campus Milton Road Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 8
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
Music Business HND is designed to break you into the music industry and show you what it takes to be a success in this competitive industry. This course forms the first two years of our three-year BA (Hons) Music Business in partnership with Kingston University, London. Push your creative potential as you gain real-life work experience and practical skills in the music sector. This is a unique course taught by highly qualified and experienced lecturers in Edinburgh College state-of-the-art facilities. These include a 100-seat auditorium, Mac labs and recording studios. This academic year we will be piloting an exciting online provision of this course in the first year for those living outside Edinburgh or its commutable area*. If you wish to be part of this program, please indicate your interest in your personal statement.
Explore your career possibilities as you work directly with industry professionals and start your own record label, sign bands, produce music and learn essential marketing and events skills. You will attend major music-industry networking events and local music festivals. These will give you essential industry connections and explore your career possibilities. You will collaborate with music and sound production students in order to learn all aspects of the industry and discover crucial skills in how to organise and create marketing campaigns; negotiate deals; create promotional materials; manage a tour. You will gain up to date and specialist knowledge of all major areas of the industry including live music events and touring; scouting for new music acts; managing artists’ careers; effective marketing of artists online as well as covering legal issues including contracts and copyright.
*Applicant numbers dependant.
What you will learn
- Learn how to put on events and gigs
- Create your own record label
- Learn how to promote brands and artists
- Learn how to negotiate
- Learn about recording and live sound
- Learn about the key sectors of the music business including Live Music, Recording Labels and Music Publishing
- Learn about all the different roles in the music industry and what they involve
- Learn how to understand contracts
- Create digital marketing campaigns
- Work with artists in the college's CRE-8 studios
- Attend a variety of music networking events
- Learn how to create artwork and promotional material for a band/artist
- Learn how to organise and manage a tour
How the course is assessed
- Assessment is through projects coursework and some written tests
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week
- Two highers or equivalent
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You may be invited to attend for interview
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Degree programmes in music business, commercial music, event management and marketing
Discover the Creative Industries Faculty
Our Creative Industries faculty offers a variety of courses which help prepare students to stand out from the crowd in their chosen field, be it art and design, broadcast media and photography, music and sound production, performing arts or computing.
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Milton Road Campus||Full time||29/08/22||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.