Music Business NPA and Sound Production: Recording NPA (SCP)
Campus Milton Road Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Part time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This course is for S5 and S6 pupils who are still at school.
This course will provide an introduction to working in the areas of the music business and sound production. Due to the closely linked nature of these two subjects and their ongoing economic growth in the creative industries, the course provides an excellent opportunity to gain a grounding in this area of employment by taking part in projects involving the creation and marketing of musical products.
You will learn both creative and technical processes in sound production including composition, MIDI sequencing, editing, arranging and mixing. In addition to this, you will learn about a range of job roles and organisations in the music industry, methods for promotion and distribution, branding and marketing.
The course is taught by lecturers with years of experience working in the music industry at our sector-leading facilities at our Milton Road campus. These include 5 SSL studios and 4 TOFT studios, over 10 fully equipped rehearsal rooms and a 100+ seat auditorium.
Collaboration is at the core of the creative industries and our curriculum, and the structure of the course is mainly practical and project-based focusing on real industry examples and practices.
Completion of the course will lead to two NPA qualifications at SQCF L6:
- NPA Music Business
- NPA Sound Production: Recording
What you will learn
- Creative Project
- Sound: Understanding the Signal Path
- Sound Engineering and Production
- Music: Promotion in Music Industry
- Music: An Introduction to the UK Music Industry
How the course is assessed
- This is mainly a project-based course, assessed through project and portfolio work. There are some written/theory-based assessments.
Number of days per week
- 2 afternoons per week: Tuesday & Thursday 1:30 - 4pm
- Two qualifications at SCQF Level 5 preferably in Music/Music Technology, Media or Computing
- Core skills at SCQF Level 4
- Applicants should be studying at Higher level and have good writing skills (this should be evident in the personal statemet detailing their interests, experience and motivation for wanting to study on the course)
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- HND Sound Production
- HND Music Business
- HND Music
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Milton Road Campus||Part time||21/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.