NEBOSH National General Certificate Occupational Health & Safety
OL - Open Learning/Cross Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Duration 12 - 45 weeks
Start date Multiple available
£844 - £1386
(see funding options)
Choose your study options
Course enquiry form
This course is designed for supervisors and managers who work in a medium to the high-risk environment and is ideal if you require basic knowledge of occupational health and safety. This course is the perfect first step towards a career in occupational health and safety.
Part-time study is a mixture of lectures and exercises and students are issued with all study materials. Students are required to carry out private study each week.
For open learning students, this course is studied through workbooks. Students will set their own timetable but will have tutor support. Students may also attend college every Tuesday evening to meet their tutor and other students, with opportunities to ask questions and participate in exercises.
This course will allow employees to progress on to further study at diploma level which can be studied at Edinburgh College
Our open learning format allows you to join the course at any time.
Your employer may be entitled to funding towards this course find out more here: www.edinburghcollege.ac.uk/fwdf
What you will learn
- Why we should manage workplace health and safety
- How health and safety management systems work and what they look like
- Managing risk – understanding people and processes
- Health and safety monitoring and measuring
- Physical and psychological health
- Musculoskeletal health
- Chemical and biological agents
- General workplace issues
- Work equipment
How the course is assessed
4-hour open book examination (online)
3-hour practical assessment
Number of days per week
- Part-time one day a week for 12 weeks
- Open learning one year of tutor support
- There are no qualifications required for entry to the certificate
Due to current COVID restrictions we would normally charge and supply the course material. This is no longer possible. We are reducing the cost of the qualification. This is to cover the cost for candidates to buy direct the materials required for the course.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 6.0
Progression and Articulation Routes
- NEBOSH diploma
- NEBOSH Diploma to forward your career as a health and safety professionals
- The certificate is on a unit basis so once a unit is obtained it can be used to complete parts of other certificate courses
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration||Cost|
|OL - Open Learning/Cross Campus||Open learning||11/08/21||45 Weeks||
|Sighthill Campus||Part time||31/08/21||12 Weeks||
|Sighthill Campus||Part time||15/02/22||14 Weeks||
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.