NPA in Data Science (Veterans Programme)
Campus OL - Open Learning/Cross Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Part time
Duration 14 weeks
Course enquiry form
Edinburgh College has launched a free online course in Data Science with Data Security to help veterans who have just come out of the Armed Forces and want to pursue a career in Data Science or an IT-related sector, you will gain vital skills that are currently increasingly in demand with employers. The course provides a broader introduction to Data Science, focusing on data analysis and data security knowledge and skills.
The course has a 12-week structure and is guided by lecturer support via online video lessons. This course is free to study, as it is fully funded by The Data-Driven Innovation (DDI) Skills Gateway. On successful completion of this course, you will gain a National Progression Award in Data Science at SCQF level 6.
The field of Data Science combines digital and data skills, specific knowledge about a particular topic or subject area, and numeracy skills to extract insights and knowledge from data. The ability to identify the problem to solve, the correct data to use, carry out the analysis and then implement the outcome requires the three areas mentioned above to be brought together.
Data Science is becoming essential to how we live, learn and work. It is all about how we turn those insights extracted from data into actions. Many people are keen to learn more and understand this topic, and more employers are seeking applicants with experience in Data Science. Using the knowledge and skills from this course will help you to develop in your current or future job role.
What you will learn
Data Science is a multidisciplinary subject that combines, computer science, statistics and business knowledge. It allows the generation of insights from data.
This course will cover:
- Data Management: Sorting and Analysing Data
- An Introduction to Python Programming
- Learn how to use the industry standard software Microsoft Excel
- Data in our Society: Elements of Data Security and How to Protect Your Own Data and Data Belonging to Other People
- The Potential of Data Usage and Ethical Implications
How the course is assessed
- Through practical assessments and some multiple-choice tests.
Number of days per week
- The course has a 12-week structure and is guided by lecturer support via online video lessons.
- Applicants don't need to have done any programming before but a small amount of knowledge is advantageous, in something like HTML.
- The purpose of the course is to be accessible to a broad community of people no matter what your qualifications or work/life experience, so if in doubt please apply as we have courses at all levels from beginner to advanced.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
Depending on your other skills and qualification, there could be entry in to:
- PDA Data Science
- NPA Software Development and Web/Digital Design
- NPA Cyber Security and Networking
- For those starting their career, this is a gateway qualification to study at a higher level at college.
- For those with previous work experience, this qualification provides a great addition to your CV.
- Data science jobs can include data analyst, systems analyst, data scientist, and software engineer.
- Data science is highly utilised in medicine, marketing, science, finance, business, retail, agriculture and technology.
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|OL - Open Learning/Cross Campus||Part time||16/01/23||14 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.