NPA Introduction to Data Science
Campus OL - Open Learning/Cross Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 4
Study mode Open learning
Duration 15 weeks
Course enquiry form
This course, gives you an introduction to Data science, during the course, you will gather data and analyse datasets as well as learn to create visualisations of the results and present your findings, and report on what you have found and how it can make a difference to you or others.
You will develop an understanding of how data is used in society. You will interpret data in different formats to find out interesting things from it, investigate the reason for unusual results or trends, and think about the impact or behaviour change that will result from the analysis. You will investigate how data can have both a positive and negative effect on society, such as when biased data is used in decision making or when data is misrepresented to influence people.
All the skills you need to understand the role of a data analyst.
What you will learn
- Data gathering
- Data clensing
- Data analysis
- Insights and findings
- Ethics and bias of data
How the course is assessed
- Through course work submissions and multiple choice tests.
- The multiple choice tests are scheduled and you need to sit them at those times.
Number of days per week
- This is open learning, but you will need approximately 3 to 6 hours per week of study.
- As this is open learning, you need to be able to self study, the course is mostly text based, and you will need to complete written and practical activities using Excel and microsoft word on your own.Therefore you will need a good level of reading and comprehension, data science also includes some numeracy and basic maths. You will also need to be comfortale using a computer.
- Our recommended entry requirements for school leavers is Nationl 5 English and a maths/numeracy qualification.
- Anyone not leaving school, we assess your application on experience, so please complete your personal statement.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- The course is opened week by week. Course work needs to be submitted to the deadlines asigned. There is a mutple choice test which you need to complete within the allocated time window or two to three days.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- NPA Data Science with Python and R
Any other courses in the college and computing, depending on your other qualifacations. We welcome applications to
- NPA Digital Media for Comping
- NPA Access to Cyer Securty Software and Web
- Progress through other data courses and on to a degree
|OL - Open Learning/Cross Campus
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.